Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Milling

MikeNS

Sent my TS2 slide out to have it milled for an optic. Sent to what I thought was probably one the most reputable shops in the industry. They’re very well known for machine work on CZ pistols. This is the result.

I did reach out to them prior to posting. They essentially said that’s just how it is with S2 and TS2 slides because they’re thin. Advised I use longer screws. 

What are your thoughts? Am I being unreasonable to think this is garbage work? IMG_2024-06-11-102114.jpeg.008d1968f0a3d2e297d1de465fcf7482.jpegIMG_2024-06-11-102101.jpeg.35913be588525a9ee16b0b704f2a6aba.jpeg

IMG_2024-06-11-101653.png.4f838feaf06d10da39e3091ffd14450d.png

Yep, that's why rmr footprint needs a plate on it.  Same for most 2011 pistol.  Just not meat there.  Personally if I was the vendor I would of told the customer that's what it'll  look like without some type of plate system and let them decide if they want to move forward

I hate plates and prefer direct milled but I would of found someone who offer a plate system on that particular gun

Edited by sandflea316

1 hour ago, bootcamp said:

I would have put a plate on it.  At least they put some lugs (halfassed) on it.  That's important if you ask me.

I'm not convinced lugs do much of anything, what I want is the front of the dot to be incontact with the front of the cut that gives a much larger bearing surface for the recoil to act on the dot.

The S2 slide and TS2 slide can be problematic with RMR footprint cut.

the SRO you can do cause you have to mill deeper to bring the glass down. by going deeper you get past the point of the angle that you can get the hole screw hole into the slide and not get that break out on part of the hole.

if doing RMR or similar, you cant go as deep as the glass gets below the slide top.

some shops will use a smaller screw size, to not have that happen. others will us a plate. 

there are some other things that can be done to minimize this from happening.

it should be fine, just will look not as pretty.

• 3 weeks later...

Hands down plate system every time.

I have change optics loads of times. Fast and easy with plate. Nightmare with direct mount.

I had my S2 direct milled for a DPP and while it has performed flawlessly, I would have opted for a plate system if I knew then what I know now... Future proofing (or preference proofing) an expensive investment, allowing any dot to be used is the way to go.

• 5 weeks later...