Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival S - 124 coated RN - OAL?

Chutist

Loaded some 124gr. Round nose coated bullets and having some trouble with the Plunk test in the Canik.  I'm at 1.142 OAL with VV N320 powder.  Load runs great in my Sig X5 and my G34.  They are not quite "plunking" in the Canik.  After some investigation, I think the ogive (Spelling?) on the bullet is hitting the start of the rifling. I can push them that last little bit to be flush with my thumb and pop it out with my finger nail but that's not really a "plunk" now is it.  Cases were roll sized and will Plunk before loading, so I don't think I have any isse with it being bulge or other sizing issues

Thinking of shortening my OAL a bit but wondered:

1) What OAL others with Rivals might be running with this bullet type.

2) What is the "normal" range of OAL for 9mm with 124gr Round nose.

You are Really close. Seat them another .010 deeper and test again. That little bit will make less difference in psi than them being jammed into the rifling. I would actually give it .015 and test for function and accuracy in all your guns. 

Looks like 1.130 is going to be the winner.  ;). Surprised I had to go that short... I'll have to test to be sure they are going to feed.

What really surprised me is Factory WW White Box is 1.169 or so and it plunks just fine...  Could be bullet shape or the coating I guess. 

If they don't feed, plan B is RMR JHP's.  I've only got 1K.  I still have a couple K of the coated.  I was hoping to use them ALL before switching. 😁

Agreed. I wouldn't consider 1.130 to be short for 124gr minor. I load 1.110 for reliability in all of my minor pistols for 124gr FMJs, but have had to go down to 1.060 when loading JHPs with less forgiving profiles (like the RMR Nuke..)

44 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

Agreed. I wouldn't consider 1.130 to be short for 124gr minor. I load 1.110 for reliability in all of my minor pistols for 124gr FMJs, but have had to go down to 1.060 when loading JHPs with less forgiving profiles (like the RMR Nuke..)

^^^2X