Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match malfunction on my Rival S! and a question....

Chutist

I managed to have my first malfunction during a match with my Canik Rival S.

BLUF - I don’t think it was the guns “fault”.  It’s my setup.

The set up at this time:
Rival S Dark Side
Rune Tactical Guide rod with 14 pound recoil spring
Mag with Henning base pad with MBX spring and follower
ME03 optic 
Ammo was Factory Blazer 115 FMJ.

Stage was a 24 round “speed shoot” with some movement and the targets were fairly open.  When looking at it I decided it was time to try 24 in the mag.
Upfront - My “practice” range closed so at the moment I don’t have a place to “test” and I’m pretty much just shooting matches or indoor single lane.  I view this as 
“my fault” in using an untested set up in a match.  

So I load and make ready, One off a loader mag and then the 24 round mag.  So I have 25 in the gun.  The 24 round mag set up seats easy enough that I would consider it “reloadable”. There is enough give, it seats just fine. 
Buzzer goes and I fire one round and the slide looks “locked back”.  I see the malfunction, it looked like a double feed( more in a bit ), clear it and finish the stage.  It cost me several seconds and I wasn’t sure on round count so I did a reload running to the last shooting area, just to be sure.

Thinking about it after, what I saw was interesting.  The slide was back and what I saw was an empty case still on the extractor and the top round hadn’t released.  In hindsight, what I THINK happened, was the drag from the bullet on the bottom of the slide combined with the 14 pound recoil spring slowed the slide enough to stop the gun from cycling.

Going forward, I know I could just not load 24.  But I’m going see what I can do to maybe increase the slide velocity.  I’ll drop to a lighter recoil spring - I have 12 and 13 on hand.  I’d like input from anybody else on what they are running. Recoil spring AND load.  

I guess it would be disappointing to not make the 24 round set up reliable. I’d like to go to lighter loads and that would likely exacerbate the problem.  

I’ve run the same set up except for the guiderod and ammo, and I’ve ended up with the same malfunction. 24+1 just doesn’t work reliably for me with that particular set up whether I’ve begun a stage that way, or reloaded with the 24 round mag to end up with 25 in the gun. 24 in the gun works like a charm and I’ve decided the risk of a malfunction isn’t worth the extra round. 

Agree 100%  - I'll never do it again if I can't get it to run in a practice.  So you have chambered the 24th off the mag while making ready?

What guide rod and recoil spring weight are you running.  I'll speculate that your loading ammo close to PF?

I've re-learned my lesson... Went and tested at the indoor range today. 

About 300 rounds of power factor "match ammo".  I swapped the trigger return spring, striker spring (4 pound)and recoil spring (13 pound).  Trigger is just over 3 pounds now, runs really well.  I tried some ammo that I had with SRP, wasn't sure the 4 pound striker would light them...100 rounds or so, no problems.  The rest had SPP and were good as expected.  

With mags loaded to 22 rounds, gun ran like a top. 😀

On 6/8/2024 at 4:42 PM, Chutist said:

Agree 100%  - I'll never do it again if I can't get it to run in a practice.  So you have chambered the 24th off the mag while making ready?

What guide rod and recoil spring weight are you running.  I'll speculate that your loading ammo close to PF?

Apologies for the delayed response......I'm running a Wolff Glock guide rod with a 15 lb. recoil spring. And yes, I chamber a round from a 24 round mag when making ready all the time.

Posted (edited)

Thanks @BillGarlandJr

I've put the stock guide rod back in, I don't think the Rune Tactical was "helping".  I'll make.a seperate post about some of what I found there...

I shot in a squad Sunday with another guy running a Rival S.  His gun has been 100% so I was taking notes on his set up.  His load was in the 135PF range and he was running the STOCK recoil spring and guide.  

I had two malfunctions on the first two stages, so I isolated the two mags for the rest of the day and had NO more malfunctions.  Reviewing video, I was able to narrow it down to ONE mag.  Pulled it apart and found the follower had an issue that I think was causing the malfunction

IMG_0328.jpeg.adb0308b93d2f890e67ac9797a9bcd1c.jpeg

Follower didn't have the round pushed up in time.  I think the "nipple" was causing the follower to bind just a bit.   Easy fix with a nail file.  However I think it leaving the Rune like that wasn't great.... 

The mags with the MBX followers have been perfect loaded to 23.  That's all I'll buy going forward.

Edited by Chutist

Continued to have issues at the indoor match this week, malfunctions on 3 of 4 stages.  Truthfully, I'm close to being done with this gun for matches. ☹️  I like how it shoots but if I can't get it to go BANG every time, it's worthless for a match gun.

I pulled the Rune Tactical guide rod and spring out and put the STOCK assembly back in...went to the indoor range and put 150 rounds through it and it was perfect.  The Rune has tooling marks all down the guide rod, i couldn't help that the spring coils could randomly drag on the tooling marks and slow the slide enough to cause an intermittent issue?  I ordered a FACTORY reduced power spring set a week ago but it still hasn't shipped.

Maybe it's unrealistic expectation but I expect a smooth finish on an aftermarket Guide rod. 🤔

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.bd4d9cb5252f195793f7f3e627462204.JPG