Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 handle dragging when toolhead is tightened

Posted (edited)

I'm finding that when I fully tighten down the large toolhead retaining bolt  on my super 1050 that my press is doing something a little weird and giving a drag/resistance as I cycle the handle 

I am trying to go slow and see where the dragging is happening, but I can't seem to figure out exactly where it's coming from. When the toolhead has a little play in it the dragging goes away, but this isn't optimal for obvious reasons

Anyone else have this issue before? 

Edited by nitrohuck

pick a press....

I don't think it is a 650.

loosen the nut and see if the problem shifts the bolted part.

tighten the nut to half the previous torque (a good guess will do)

and then look for what causes the problem.

miranda

• nitrohuck changed the title to S1050 handle dragging when toolhead is tightened
15 minutes ago, Miranda said:

pick a press....

I don't think it is a 650.

loosen the nut and see if the problem shifts the bolted part.

tighten the nut to half the previous torque (a good guess will do)

and then look for what causes the problem.

miranda

whoops, super 1050, edited original post... 

Check the indexing pins. That's the primary place where you'd get friction if they were bent or not aligned. When you tighten the bolt, go finger-tight, lower the head, then tighten while it's in the "down" position. It will prevent slight rotation as you tighten the bolt. 

Tighten the bolt when the toolhead is down to align the pins as IVC says.  Then watch it to see if it tilts sideways at the bottom which can be a sign of an over-set swage punch or backup rod.

So after more observation it seems to be the indexing rod dragging, it’s especially pronounced if I slowly cycle the handle. 

going fast or at normal pace doesn’t cause as much of a hangup. Not sure if this even needs to be fixed, I guess a different tool head could/should solve the issue?

hi nitrochuck,

I do not have that type of press.

so this is based on photos and mechanic's skills.

go slow and see where you feel the most resistance.

note it somehow.  then loosen the plate to see if the rod is the drag

the plate will shift some is what I'd expect. with the most shift about the

same place as the most resistance was.

that is pretty good evidence the rod is bent...

it is better to find and remove the drag because it will be a wear point.

most times both wear, I don't know how important 'tis the two parts have close fit.

miranda

5 hours ago, nitrohuck said:

So after more observation it seems to be the indexing rod dragging, it’s especially pronounced if I slowly cycle the handle. 

What's the "indexing rod"?

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 6:22 PM, shred said:

What's the "indexing rod"?

The "indexing rod" (my nomenclature, so there could be a different name for it) is the vertical stainless steel rod attached, seemingly permanently, to the toolhead. 

As you cycle the handle downwards, the rod goes through the holes in the shellplate, and through the bottom part of the press, essentially ensuring that if the press is slightly out of alignment at the start of the downstroke, that it will be "pulled" into alignment by the indexing rod. 

If, after a cycle of the handle, your shellplate was misaligned by a few mm, and the indexing rod didn't exist, you could feasibly destroy every case in all stations simlutaneously by crushing them against the misaligned dies. 

Its located in between the final station and where a new case gets fed into the shellplate.

Edited by nitrohuck

Posted (edited)

Can you tighten the tool head when the pins are in the shell plate so everything would be aligned? Or is it off on its axis?(tipped)

Edited by Farmer

Dillon calls them: Alignment Pins (#12972 & #13515 located under the toolhead)

This is why to tighten the toolhead bolt with the shellplate down so those pins (there's one for the primer slide as well) are aligned with the holes in the and base casting.  If it then rotates a little at the top so it's not lined up there, you may need to retighten the bottom end as something is torquing there, although a lot of people just seem to ignore it.

If it's dragging because it's pulling the shellplate into place, probably the detent ball is gunked up.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, shred said:

If it's dragging because it's pulling the shellplate into place, probably the detent ball is gunked up.

Yeah, a lot of problems go away after a press gets a thorough clean and lube. How many round since that was last performed?

Also if the alignment pin is truly off center people have been know to put a block of wood on the "uphill" side and give it a good wack.

Edited by ddc