Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Placing gun on ground during course of fire

IHAVEGAS

In USPSA if you place (not drop, place) a loaded gun on the ground or a table and take your hand off of it it is considered unsafe gun handling and is a dq unless the gun is considered to be in a safe starting condition (for example, hammer down or safety on or a Glock style trigger safety).

Looking at the IDPA rules I don't find clarity. The unsafe gun handling rules are stated to be 'non-exclusive' , which I suppose is what covers this circumstance. 

Interested in others thoughts or experience on what, if anything, would be considered unsafe gun handling and a dq regarding placing a gun in a controlled manner with the barrel pointed in a safe direction. 

To me it seems like a gun placed on a barrel or table with the safety off would be unsafe gun handling as it could potentially fall, but for a gun placed on the ground (as in after a fall or after finishing shooting from a prone position) I would not be able to justify giving a shooter a dq. 

Thoughts? 

without looking at the rules for each game, my understanding is one can place the gun on barrel, ground etc, in a safe direction with the gun in the allowed starting condition (or totally empty).  again iirc placing a gun, not in the allowed start condition, is a dq.

All my recent experience is multigun under various rules packages, and in all cases if the gun is out of your hand (table, ground, dump barrel, yada) it is expected to stay pointed in a safe direction and if there is a safety it is supposed to be engaged.

Some recent matches have included "HVT" shots, where you must be observed dropping the magazine and taking a shot at a target to verify the gun is inert and can be holstered or slung. 

20 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

a gun placed on the ground (as in after a fall or after finishing shooting from a prone position) I would not be able to justify giving a shooter a dq. 

I have heard it recommended in the walkthrough to put the gun on the ground so as to get up from prone.  If nothing is said, I would ask.  Rule Zero.  

Goes double for a fall on the stage, wait until you are instructed on how to get up.  Unless you intend to get up and resume on the clock, which might not be allowed.

When the last position is prone I can't just pop up to my knees and unload and show clear. I always ask the RO exactly how they want me to proceed. I don't assume anything. 

On 5/17/2024 at 1:02 PM, Jim Watson said:

I have heard it recommended in the walkthrough to put the gun on the ground so as to get up from prone.  If nothing is said, I would ask.  Rule Zero.  

Goes double for a fall on the stage, wait until you are instructed on how to get up.  Unless you intend to get up and resume on the clock, which might not be allowed.

Same here. This is has been said for car stages when you finish inside a car. The SOs give you the option of putting the gun on the seat or dash before exit

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/17/2024 at 2:02 PM, Jim Watson said:

When is it ever not allowed to get up if you fall?

On 5/17/2024 at 12:02 PM, Jim Watson said:

😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳