Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Spring Cups

Joe D

Push down on the spring while holding the spring cups up. The inner part of the cup that goes in the inner diameter of the spring is much deeper than a Glock, so you'll have to push down on the spring further if that's what you're used to.

20 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

When you get em out, cut them in half, they don't need to be that long.. I use Glock cups too.

That's what I was thinking. Use Glock cups.

• 1 month later...

They are oversize for sure.  I didn't cut mine...this time.  If I was "tuning" and was going to be changing them very much I'd just use the Glock cups.  That reminds me, put that on the parts list for my next order. 😉

Posted (edited)

You just have to pull the striker spring down far enough and then lift out one side at a time. Not sure this trick still works on current models but you used to be able to put the back of the striker into the the cutout in the slide (with the striker upside down and backwards) and it would hold it in place to help you fight the spring down far enough to get the cups off. Put a piece of masking tape over the top back of your slide or you can scratch it in the process. 

It is much easier to deal with once you have a lighter striker spring installed. If you have an older Canik with the original massively overpowered striker spring, trying to pull the spring down by hand will just about wear out your fingertips. 

Edited by Weapon

I wear a leather work glove so my finger skin doesn't gripe. It works OK even on the 16lb original Canik striker spring. It's not easy, but it's painless this way.

6 hours ago, BradNC said:

I wear a leather work glove so my finger skin doesn't gripe. It works OK even on the 16lb original Canik striker spring. It's not easy, but it's painless this way.

Glove is a solid plan. The first time I took one off, I was thinking it would be about like a Glock striker spring. lol - no. I had a bit of gun lube residue on my fingers so of course it slipped and it did some nice finger tip damage. Those were ridiculously overpowered. I always wondered if those striker springs were partly (or maybe mostly) responsible for the failures with their original MIM firing pins as I had swapped out striker springs in mine almost immediately once I found the ones for Glock would fit and I never had an MIM firing pin fail. I still upgraded to the machined ones when they came out.