Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ventured into un-chartered territory.....

TDean

My G20 just purrs along with MG 180 bullets, but I longed a cheaper practice bullet.  "Bear Creek" bullets are similar to Precision so I thought I'd give 'em a try in the mighty Glock's barrel.

After 200rds of spewing toxic blue smoke, the barrel was severly leaded which only a stainless brush and hours of soaking in solvent could clean.

Sundays match wasn't very important, so I decided to finish off the last 150rds of these crappy bullets.  I had just enough bullets for the 6 stages, but because of a timer problem, I had to reshoot one of the 30rd stages.

Uhh...I don't have enough ammo, and trying to find someone with 10mm at a local IPSC match is useless.

So a squad partner and M-610 revolver shooter asked if I wanted to shoot his 40SW JHPs?  Hmmm....

So there I was, loading 40SW into a 10mm magazine and prepared to fire these jacketed bullets through a leaded 10mm barrel!!!  STAND BACK FOLKS!!

They worked flawlessly....no signs of overpressure....accurate....hell, they even cleaned some of the lead out!

Dont try this at home..

I guess I shouldn't admit this publicly, but that's what I've done for years to scrub the lead out of my barrel after a practice session.  And, yes, all you nervous Nellies out there, I know it's "wrong."  But, it works.  

So TDean, are you going to start running 40 cases in the G20?

E

You dangerous mista' !!

Probably won't do the 40 in the 10 barrel, but might run them in that cheap-ass Federal Arms 40SW barrel I have for the G20.

But, that would be against USPSA Limited Div rules (cannot change calibers from factory intentions of gun)

Not that anyone would say anything......

Looks to me like it just says caliber...which is simply the bullet diameter.  

US Limited:

-  Minimum cartridge is 9x19

-  Minimum caliber for Major is .40

-  Changing caliber from the factory standard is specfically not allowed.

Revolver states a 357Magnum minimum for making Major.

So, it appears that they have addressed the caliber vs. catridge issue.  The wording says no changing the gun from the factory caliber.

(I'll try to ask this question of Arnie Christianson in the RO class this weekend.)

I believe somebody official at USPSA stated that putting a .40 barrel into a 10mm was OK, caliber-wise. After all, that's what we score-- the caliber of the hole in the target.

Given that several of the "Super" variants will all fire from the same chamber, that would also save them a lot of headaches when the ol' replacement gun issue comes around.