Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA physicality poll

RJH

Physicality in USPSA, a poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How much physicality in USPSA are you looking for, is there enough now, etc

• Generally where I shoot it's a good balance
    • Not near enough, give me some barricades and Cooper tunnels along with 100 yard dash
    • I'm looking more for action bullseye
    • Old people bother me let's do prone on every stage

This poll is closed to new votes

Local matches here, it's rare to go prone, almost never. Bigger matches it's more likely. I've got 2 level 2s in the next couple of months but stages haven't been posted yet.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For as many shooters have SHTF builds, you hear an overwhelming amount of complaining when you require a slight bend at the knee for a low port. 

16 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I've noticed a trend of not seeing prone at matches in the last decade?  Don't know why.

People dont wanna mess up there logo plastered cool dude techware shirts.

15 hours ago, lroy said:

For as many shooters have SHTF builds, you hear an overwhelming amount of complaining when you require a slight bend at the knee for a low port. 

Then dont be around for the crying when a port requires shooters stand on tippy toes, or have to go up a step to shoot.
Low ports are never fair, unless they are so low everyone has to squat, sit or  kneel to use them. 
Genrally what happens is, what ever height the stage designer is, gets to just run up and shoot natural stance.. Those taller, have to hunch over..  why for the typical port design they should be slots vs ports,, so that 4 foot to 7 foot shooters are presented the challenge equally.
I suspect no tall person would ever complain about a low port if there were instances where there were tall ports on occassion.
Last match I shot in HI before I left. MD put up a short fence section I could shoot over,, most the other shooters had to go to edge of fence to shoot around.. Saved me a few steps,, Told me "Hah we threw you a bone this time as a going away present. "

18 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I've noticed a trend of not seeing prone at matches in the last decade?  Don't know why.

I didn't used to favor them because of the one or two folks on the squad who struggled to get in position and needed help getting back up. Now that I am not far from being one of those folks I favor them less probably. 

Regardless, if there are people who feel that prone shooting makes the match more fun then that would matter to me. I don't know if anyone does?

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I didn't used to favor them because of the one or two folks on the squad who struggled to get in position and needed help getting back up. Now that I am not far from being one of those folks I favor them less probably. 

Regardless, if there are people who feel that prone shooting makes the match more fun then that would matter to me. I don't know if anyone does?

In USPSA Prone should only be an option, not a requirement.  And yes I've seen many struggle with prone and kneeling.  I'm slowing down but not really struggling.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

People dont wanna mess up there logo plastered cool dude techware shirts.

You may well have a point on that one 🤣, but not me I revel in getting grungy.  I take every stain, rip or bruise as a badge of honor, I earned every one!

Posted (edited)

Prone with an alternative shooting position is fine. I did one last year that added 17ish (maybe even more) yards to poppers from the non-prone option. 

I fyou have prone with no options, it really needs to be the obviously final position for any kind of the physical equity. 

Edited by broadside72

Maybe leave prone for club matches at least. At majors the odds it will rain are high, and someone has to start on that stage. That squad gets to lay in the mud a 9am and deal with that all day. Vs the squad that shot the day before when it was dry. 

I get everything can't be equal, but I also don't want to lay in the mud first thing in the morning.....again. 

I've seen multi day matches that planned on having prone but eliminated it because of weather prior to anyone shooting. But you of course can't do that in the middle of the match.

16 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Maybe leave prone for club matches at least. At majors the odds it will rain are high, and someone has to start on that stage. That squad gets to lay in the mud a 9am and deal with that all day. Vs the squad that shot the day before when it was dry. 

I get everything can't be equal, but I also don't want to lay in the mud first thing in the morning.....again. 

I think it was Area 8 two years ago we shot the prone stage in several inches of standing water. It was a miserable experience and certainly not the same challenge as when it was dry. The port was low enough that Open guns were kicking up small geysers with every shot lol.

What you do if you want prone shots at a major is build a raised table or bed to shoot from, with a small port in front of it at table height.  The PCC whiners can shoot through the port from a shooting box 20 yards back :D.   It'll still suck in the rain, but much less so.