Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need a new G35 barrel?

SteelEye

I've got a G35 on the way.  I plan to reload jacketed mainly.  I'm more concerned about the cases as I hear the stock barrel is unsupported.  

Sure, a BarSto would be nice but it's beyond my abilities at this moment in time.  However, if the stock barrel will give me problem with case bulges then I'll pop for the BarSto.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

SteelEye

I had the same concern about my 35.  I've seen 2-3 .40 glocks KB the past year with reloads and factory barrels.  I went to a KKM barrel which came highly recommended and does provide the extra case support.  I dropped it in and it's functioned 100%.  The fit and finish are also excellent as well.  It's also about 50 bucks less than a barsto.

I shoot once fired .40 brass from berettas in my g22.  I only reload them once.  You definitely get the guppy belly syndrome in the case after its been shot through my glock.  I was originally going to try and get three or four reloads out of a casing but decided against it after seeing how much the cases were expanded out of the stock barrel.  Your experience may differ.  Maybe the chamber on your 35 is tighter than that on my 22 that would probably solve a lot of the problem if that was the case.  I wouldn't count on it though.  If you are worried about case support definitely go to an after market barrel.  I have 2 kkm and one barsto and they both offer more support than the stock barrel.  Not much more but more.  

I put a Bar-Sto in my 35 for just that reason. Why risk it? Maybe just shoot light loads until you can afford an aftermarket barrell, and there are certainly cheaper ones than Bar-Sto out there.

When I got a BarSto for my G20 I was looking to not work my brass more than shooting lead reloads.

When I got my G24 I was looking for an aftermarket barrel to be able to shoot lead reloads more than saving the brass as I have thousands of once fired stuff from Berettas.  Down here in SE AZ there are lots of border patrol and once fired .40 is plentiful. I ended up getting a KKM and have been extremely happy with it.  Dropped right in and has been great ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot my G23 two times with full power loads and ordered a KKM barrel.  The Glock barrel scared the pee out of me.  No smiley brass with the KKM.  I can use a Lee 40 S&W carbide die to resize brass, fired in a Glock barrel, enough to use in the KKM.  The KKM is so tight that fired brass will drop in a case gage without resizing.  The final step is the Lee Factory Crimp and all is well.

I have put approximately 15,000 rounds at a 168 PF through my stock G35 barrel with no trouble whatsoever.  I use plated bullets but do not use the faster/higher pressure powders.