Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 vs. 2011 Grip Comfort

IVC

A few days back I took out one of my 1911s for some random range blasting and realized that the grip, being slightly narrower, creates strange pressure point in the webbing of my palm to the point that I notice it and register as "unpleasant." Something that I never feel with 2011s, plastic double-wides [sic], or N+ frame size revolvers. 

This was a Kimber in 10mm, shooting my Limited .40 major loads, nothing even hot. Quick Background: my SVI .40 got repurposed for 9mm L/O so I now have a bunch of long-loaded .40s that won't fit into CZ/Tanfoglio magazines, hence I wanted to test how it worked in a 10mm 1911 I had laying around. 

Anyone else notices similar issues with the narrower grip? Any suggestions? 

Yes, I have experienced the same phenomenon. I don’t have a 1911, but if I got one would try out the “bite” grips from SSI.

Disclaimer: I have not used these, but they look like they might open up the hand a little more in the front to disperse pressure (despite having a similar shape in the back).

Edited by J_Allen
Added some more info

Thanks! I'll look up some of those grips and see if it makes sense for the small amount of shooting I expect with this gun. Good to hear I'm not the only one with the issue. 

I've never used them on a 1911 but I love the feel of the Lok palm swell grips on my CZs.  I don't have an issue with standard thickness 1911 grips but am curious how palm swells would feel on them. Those bite grips do look interesting if you like the 2011 feel.

Just picked up a set of Techwell Positech Ergonomic grips. They aren’t the same as a 2011 but are much better than any other 1911 grips that I have tried. 

I have the same issue. I finally fitted a thin 1/16" spacer under the stock 1911 grips (on each side) which gives me a 1/8" wider grip.  I've done this many times, and made the spacers out of many materials - metal, Delrin, plastic.  Takes me less than a half hour to fabricate.  Works fine for me, YMMV.

I do prefer the 2011’s thicker grip but still enjoy shooting the 1911’s, especially an older Springfield TRP and the DW PM-9.  Nowadays my club match stages aren’t single stack or revolver friendly, so I shoot mostly limited.

On 3/12/2024 at 7:34 PM, scooterj said:

Just picked up a set of Techwell Positech Ergonomic grips. They aren’t the same as a 2011 but are much better than any other 1911 grips that I have tried. 

Thumbs up on Techwell stuff.

Make sure there are no 'sharp' edges around the safeties, the grip safety, etc...even things that don't feel 'sharp' can dig in after a few rounds - it's so common anymore on almost any 'off the shelf' 1911, just a slight edge of something, etc somewhere and then 50 rounds later you have a sore spot, drawn blood, have a blister, etc.  Honestly I've seen this on some multi-thousand semi-custom's as well.  

Oh and LOK palm swell are amazing on a 1911, providing they fit your hands, and they offer plastic, Al, and brass depending on how much you want your gun to weigh at the end.  For reference that is a Chen magwell at the bottom - the top and the bottom (near the magwell) are basically 'normal' size for a 1911 grip, the palm swell piece is fatter, and the piece that comes in near the bottom is probably about 'thin' grip in width...it's all rounded and very 'ergonomic' friendly.  

palm-swell.JPG

Edited by DrewM