Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any hope for Ironsight divisions?

RJH

22 hours ago, shred said:

It's more than just that.  Nobody bought STI Edges in .40 and then decided to go shoot matches with them-- they went and got one after they got into USPSA.

And they still have that option today, well kind of there aren't edges but you know what I mean. The point is nobody actually wants to shoot that crap. That's why limited is dead. Is it just 40? Is it 40 plus irons? I'm not sure but everybody still has the exact same option to go out and buy 2011 and shoot limited but nobody wants to 

Well, I kind of want to but I ain't going to buy it to shoot against myself. We do have a few single stackers at the club match coming up though so that should be fun

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RJH said:

This is what people want to think happened, but most of the people I see shooting a limited optics gun or a carry optics gun we're shooting for a while before they switch to those divisions. 

So it's more like let's create divisions people actually want to shoot, and then we will gain new competitors and retain more old competitors.

This is exactly what happened with me. I have shot Limited for over 25 years (with a couple of years of Open in there) and had gotten to the point that I had to use my reading glasses to see the iron sights like I needed to. When SA came out with the Prodigy, I bought one to give it a try in Limited Optics. I haven't shot my Limited gun since then, and I am actually really enjoying shooting competition again, and also shooting a lot more!

I did dust off my old single stack and shot it for a few months before going to the Western States Single Stack Championship this year!

Edited by 392heminut

21 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Because back then, most guns were very similar. Only with customization did the guns become radically different.

Eh, they had Glock 17s then, S&Ws, CZs, Tanfos, BHPs, Single-stack 45s, HK P7s, all kinds of pistols that "didn't fit" USPSA.  You'd shoot your first few matches with whatever random junk you had, then go get whatever the right things were to play the game, like pretty much any other sport.

14 hours ago, RJH said:

This is what people want to think happened, but most of the people I see shooting a limited optics gun or a carry optics gun we're shooting for a while before they switch to those divisions. 

So it's more like let's create divisions people actually want to shoot, and then we will gain new competitors and retain more old competitors. 

I shoot a weekly USPSA-like match that gets a lot of newbies, and people who have never heard of USPSA or what divisions are before just show up to shoot with their favorite gun. The vast majority of them bring some version of a plastic gun with an optic on it, aside from the very few who show up with a Prodigy or Staccato. 

1 minute ago, waktasz said:

I shoot a weekly USPSA-like match that gets a lot of newbies, and people who have never heard of USPSA or what divisions are before just show up to shoot with their favorite gun. The vast majority of them bring some version of a plastic gun with an optic on it, aside from the very few who show up with a Prodigy or Staccato. 

We get a good deal of this as well. Rather than focusing on divisions etc. we try to make sure they have fun, stay safe and come back. 

More and more we get folks coming out because they saw photos or videos of our matches from social media or search engines and less because of USPSA or 3 Gun promotional stuff. 

Irons are fading fast. No one is surprised. It's not worth the time to change anything though. Rather, I think the best use of time is spent investing in improving the new shooter experience from top to bottom. 

44 minutes ago, shred said:

Eh, they had Glock 17s then, S&Ws, CZs, Tanfos, BHPs, Single-stack 45s, HK P7s, all kinds of pistols that "didn't fit" USPSA.  You'd shoot your first few matches with whatever random junk you had, then go get whatever the right things were to play the game, like pretty much any other sport.

I hear ya' ... My first match was with a Ruger Super Redhawk, 7 1/2" barrel.  It had no problems making Major, but the strong-hand only section on 6 poppers was definitely NOT fun!  I QUICKLY changed to a 1911 .45 before my next match.

Edited by Schutzenmeister

3 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I hear ya' ... My first match was with a Ruger Super Redhawk, 7 1/2" barrel.  It had no problems making Major, but the strong-hand only section on 6 poppers was definitely NOT fun!  I QUICKLY changed to a 1911 .45 before my next match.

That's pretty hardcore!🤣

• 3 weeks later...

I struggle to understand the logic if limited is dying and nobody cares what does it hurt to allow people that already have guns that can run the class have a few extra rounds and maybe negate the major scoring or .40 if there really accurate ?? 
Or is it just “I don’t like the division let it die attitude !

if that’s anybody’s opinion stay away from running for the board !! 

3 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

I struggle to understand the logic if limited is dying and nobody cares what does it hurt to allow people that already have guns that can run the class have a few extra rounds and maybe negate the major scoring or .40 if there really accurate ?? 
Or is it just “I don’t like the division let it die attitude !

if that’s anybody’s opinion stay away from running for the board !! 

Limited was nearly the same size as Open last year.  Prob will be different this year though.

On 7/1/2024 at 7:25 AM, waktasz said:

170mm mags for A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want you mean?

i would vote for that. wouldn’t make a bit of difference except to maybe reduce the crying for a couple weeks.

maybe an admin can fix the autocorrect entry for "Limit*d Minor".  It's well known around here that jokes are not allowed, I can't believe this sort of thing still exists. 

A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want .  

I like the idea of 170s because they are cheap. 26 rounds for 40 dollars sounds way better than 23 rounds for $100 or 24 rounds for $125. 

If the let 170s in lim for minor guns I probably wouldn't even try to build a max capacity mag. I'd probably just live with 26 rounds. Maybe buy grams guts and get 27 when I needed new springs 

170s are not available for many pistols, plus as soon as the mag capacity hits 27 or 28, then stages all go to 30+ and often more boring because slap some extra targets in for round count.

The weak-sauce-Limited word replacement could be easily fixed, but probably won't.  

On 6/13/2024 at 11:04 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

My first USPSA season I shot a Sig Sauer P365 and Federal American Eagle 9mm 147 grain (1000 listed fps).  I got really good shooting my carry gun, but I was not competitive.  I shoot a CZ Shadow 2 now.