Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 lube type

JoeInTucson

After trying every "gun oil" on the market I have settled on Amzoil 75W-90 weight synthetic gear oil. It does not thicken when in very cold conditions, it stays where you put it, it does not evaporate in heat or in time. It provides a superior lubrication in all climates for all things firearms related. A quart of it used with a needle oiler will last for many years and so far it has shown me less wear and better lubrication than anything else I have tried. 

Just about anything works, at least for a while. A guy at a three day course used vegetable oil on his 1911 just to prove that point.

I've used Weapon Shield on centerfires for years. It was originally FP10 but the formula changed when the company was bought and the orginator (I think is name is George) started WS. He's a shooter and, I believe, an engineer of some sort. There is a technology behind the newer lubes like WS that reportedly leaves a lubricating film ("layer") after the carrier oil evaporates. The gun is extremely easy to clean when I use WS. Just wipe it out. No scrubbing, scraping, etc. That alone is good enough reason for me to use it.

I use One Shot dry lube on rimfires. Really convenient and you don't have to take apart a 10/22 to lube it.

Now let the lube wars begin!!

The biggest trick with Glocks is not necessarily "lube type", but lube quantity.  

Too many people grease the heck out of them and that just attracts goop and gunk.  I had one on the bench last night that was so greased up, it looked like the front end of Grandpa's 1972 Skylark.

It only takes three drops of oil to lube a Glock:  One drop on the fingertip, spread out over the barrel.  With the finger still wet from that drop, wipe remainder on the inside of the barrel channel in the slide.  Another drop on the fingertip, then touch all four framerails.  Apply last drop to the Connector.  That's it.

I am convinced that most every other pistol on the planet can be serviced with no more than 4 drops of oil...including 1911s...

But back to the OP: I use Mobil 1 that's left over from doing my own oil changes.

While this isn't a Glock but a Beretta 96D Centurian in 40S&W belonging to a Police Department I was the Armourer for.

The importance of lube or is this too much?  I asked the Officer what the lube was and why this much.  The response was the lube is fishing reel grease and his Dad (a sergeant with the Department) told that's the way to lube it.

I took me a least an hour to get the grease out and ultrasonic clean twice.

I instructed him how to lube a pistol and told his Dad that he was wrong, I was asked why and said if the temperature was  -15C or below, the gun would freeze and not operate when needed.

6yU4i2q.jpg

AklvHdS.jpg

Edited by RePete

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have concluded that the best firearms lubricant is "Some."  I have a variety of gun, auto, and industrial lubes and they all work as long as you keep some on there.

On my various Glocks, I mostly use either Slide Glide or Slide Glide Lite from Brian - works like a champ most of the time. When straight oil is called for (in colder weather), I use Amsoil Synthetic 5w-30 or Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30, whichever I have on hand. I generally switch over in the winter months after running into some issues with stoppages with slide glide below certain temps.