Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Options for two layer belts

I currently have a cheap Amazon special (krydex I think) belt that I used for a few matches a couple years ago.  I started with this with the intention that if I continued in the sport I would buy something better.  Fast forward a couple years and I’m getting back into it.  I would continue to use this belt but it has seemingly shrunk (I have gotten married and fatter).  

So my next belt is in order.  I have looked at the daa premium belt and it looks like a solid winner for not too much money.  Only problem is I’m not certain it will fit in a motorcycle saddlebag.  I try to only ride a motorcycle during the summer and will be shooting every weds, hopefully, all summer.  Would I be better off with a link style belt from them or is there a whole other option I’m missing.  Thanks in advance 

Most competition belts are very stiff and do not roll up that tight, if space is a premium I would look at the links belt

One thing to check, how well does your current rig fit in the saddle bags

if you got room to spare a regular comp belt might be the way, if not look at the links belt

I was leaning to a links belt because I can go up and down in size without buying a new one anyway.  Is there any real draw back to a links other than price?

11 minutes ago, rishii said:

Most competition belts are very stiff and do not roll up that tight, if space is a premium I would look at the links belt

One thing to check, how well does your current rig fit in the saddle bags

if you got room to spare a regular comp belt might be the way, if not look at the links belt

33 minutes ago, Grant187ftw said:

I was leaning to a links belt because I can go up and down in size without buying a new one anyway.  Is there any real draw back to a links other than price?

The downside is that it doesn’t provide much horizontal support. Some people, myself included got rid of them because holsters and mag pouches moved too much horizontally. 

Some love the belt, others hate em. I don’t think there’s much in between. But how compact it rolls up is a huge advantage so that may outweigh some potential downsides for you. 

I am not a huge fan of the link style belts but you may like them. Given your need for compactness, it is probably your best option - unless you just want to clip a full size belt onto your backpack or whatever.

try to find somebody with one so you can check it out first

Agree with the others.  Competition belt is stiffer but Links belt is much more compact.  Maybe the saddle bag would work it you go with something like the safariland QLS or similar to remove the holster while transporting it.

15 minutes ago, Grant187ftw said:

I think I’ll just go with a regular double belt then.  I’ll figure a way to transport it.  A daa premium seems like the way to go?

Yes. In my experience DAA is a better belt.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:25 PM, fireman1776 said:

The downside is that it doesn’t provide much horizontal support. Some people, myself included got rid of them because holsters and mag pouches moved too much horizontally. 

Some love the belt, others hate em. I don’t think there’s much in between. But how compact it rolls up is a huge advantage so that may outweigh some potential downsides for you. 

I've modified a couple of links so that the mag pouch screws directly to them. Spacing was somewhat challenging (had to position some of them slightly off center) but the pouches don't move.

• 2 months later...

I fit my rig in my saddle bag. Only thing I would worn against the daa is that they are a little thicker than other belts I've had. Makes it harder th get holster and mag pouches on them.

11 hours ago, mfaith said:

I fit my rig in my saddle bag. Only thing I would worn against the daa is that they are a little thicker than other belts I've had. Makes it harder th get holster and mag pouches on them.

Yeah i ended up getting the daa.  It was a bit of a pain to get the accessories on, but they definitely do not move when set. 

• 2 months later...

My belt doesn’t fit in my bags with the holster on it. I attach the belt to my bag and bungee it to the back of the bike. Why choose between riding and shooting when you can do both.

I'm a fairly fluffy dude... I use a $12 "tactical" belt off Amazon that is adjustable elastic to hold my pants up.

Got the DAA velcro belt over that, and a DAA Lynx with the tension thingy on top of that. It doesn't budge.

Can't recommend the Lynx enough for one simple reason: it folds up.

Pretty rigid, too.