Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip angle

tightloop

tightloop?  Are you shooting a Glock???

The difference is likely due to you being used to the 1911.  Do you use a flat MSH?

Die-hard flat MSH 1911 shooters send their tupperware for a grip reduction.  Die-hard Glockers put arched MSH's in their 1911's (sometimes the difference is still apparent).

Yes, I have and shoot a 17.  Had the trigger worked over by John McNally.  It is my truck gun, if it gets stolen I haven't lost 2400 bucks I spent on my custom 1911.

also wondering if the grip angle is the same in both Colt and Glock regardless of the hump?  

having said that, I still have to be able to hit what I aim at.  I shoot Arched MSH on all my Colts, I have a big hands and I have put the Dremel on several earlier Mod 17's, but I am lothe to disfigure a great pistol, even if is is made of Austrian plastic.  Just wondering if there was any fix other than grinding off the hump.

(Edited by tightloop at 5:45 pm on Aug. 16, 2002)

There are a few that do the work.

http://www.robarguns.com/glock1.asp

http://www.burnscustom.com/glock.html

I often use some "grip tape".  You can build up a hump if you need to.  You can check it out at Custom Glock Racing.

http://www.custom-glock.com/powerflex.html

Also, an article here:

http://sportshooter.com/gear/griptheglock.htm

I like, and use, fixed Heinie Slant Pro's and Novak (bar-dot).  I haven't tried the Bomars that hang off the back (on a competition gun), they are reported to work as Bomars should though.  For extra $$ you can get the Bomars melted in.

The limiting factor on glock sights (to me) is the fact that nobody wants to make a front sight that is narrower than .125 inches.  I have thinned my Slant Pro front down to .115, I could probably go a bit lower...but not much.  Opening up the rear notch might be the ticket.

For a carry gun, I give high marks to the Novak bar-dot night sights.  The bar is small enough that it doesn't overpower the front dot.

Tightloop:

My "truck gun" is a Glock. Glocks point way high for me so I had Arizona Response Systems do a grip reduction on a G-35. Now I do my own grip reductions (so far a G-27 and a G-19) with black Acra-glass gel from Brownells. It's easy to customize your grip to suit you.

DoD-

Been shooting 1911 in competition since 1978, over 1,000,000 rounds.  

Put 7500 thru the Mod 17 trying to learn the trigger, couldn't get it.  

Based on these two amounts, do yu think I am going to switch pistols?

Like I said, it is my truck gun.

Fourteen years and 1,000,000 plus rounds through a 1911? Whew! I should think you could pick up a Sri Lankan rubberband gun and blow alot of us away shooting behind your back. No offense to any Sri Lankans (or anyone else)intended here. I like the grip tape, you can modify your gun to suit without hacking it up, and it's a little tacky too.

for real, when i first started with a glock i had the same thing to high. but i liked the way it felt so i just pushed it down . then after a while it just felt right. i'm not sure you can go back and forth with out some work. or just fill the plug with jb weld  and start grinding. good luck anyway you go.

Roo-on! You bad boy! From my limited experience, that grip tape  is seriously adjustable   and   reversible if you don't like it. And affordable. A little kidding. but I won't  respond without without without crap I forgot

Dave, I have a Robar modified Glock 17 with Heinie sights and I can bring it to Eagle Lake sometime if you are still going out there.  The grip reduction does lower the NPA, but I still find it a bit high as compared to a 1911.  The only real solution to the issue is to practice with the Glock until your body figures out how to adjust.  I can go back and forth now without too much trouble.

If you want Bomar's installed for carry on a Glock check out Custom Glock Racing.  The link is:

http://www.custom-glock.com/newprod.html

Scroll down to the "Buried Bo-mars" section.

If you can live with fixed sights, the "Race Cut" Heinie Straight Eight night sights (also from Custom Glock Racing) would be great for carry.  I use the black on black version on my G34 and really like them.

Vincent

I think I will be at the 9-02 match to vote etc.  I was really thinking about sending mine to Dane Burns and letting him go to town on it.  I would like to see the one Robbie Barkman did for you.  

Thanks for the offer.  Look forward to seeing how it points for me.