Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mag takedown

Thomas Moore

My G17 mags base plates don't slide all that easily.  There's an indent on the base plate slide that locks with a catch on the mag body slide rail.  I've found that by applying a little pressure to the base plate by levering against the front lip of the base plate against the mag body gets it to slide (of course while pressing the button the bottom of the base plate).  Any other solutions??

Cheers,

Phred  

1.  push a punch into the mag to keep the button up and out of the way

2.  squeeze the sides of the mag, right above the baseplate, between the thumb and forefinger...near where the "nubs" are

3.  press the baseplate against the edge of a table

I used to have a tough time with this.  Then I got a Glock Armorer's Tool (Basically a long punch) and shoved it all the way into the mag.  Voila, the base plate slid off like butter.  That inner plate needs to lift up high enough, to allow the tube to flex inward to allow the base plate to clear the tabs on the tube.  Once you know how, it's a pretty ingenious design.....

Flexmoney's tip to squeeze the sides of the mag body (of course while inserting the disassembly tool/depressing the mag insert) works for me,, YMMV.  Base plates pretty much just slide off..  Thanks Flex!

Cheers,

Phred

Uhhh ... folks...let's do be careful about how we disassemble our Glock mags.  If you tweak a basepad or mag too badly, your gun will start doing, shall we say, "Tactical Unloads."  (This is where you slap in a mag, and all the rounds, spring, follower, and pad rocket out the ass end of your gun.)  

Rather embarassing to say the least...

E