Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Contest Suggestion

kevin c

No matter what the contest ends up being, I think HAL should stay put. Besides, Merlin's huge 'movies' that were the former avatars are screwing up my system every time they pop up!!! Arrrgghhh!! Leave HAL online. ;)

Merlin, you should register HAL as a member and have some fun....... :P

Merlin,

finally an avatar that I like (or that I don't get sick staring at...)! Thanks. :D

BTW,

I guess everybody knows why HAL was named like that by A.C. Clarke, don't you? ;)

And, if you can answer the above, try this: can you trace the name Windows NT roots? :P

Merlin,

finally an avatar that I like (or that I don't get sick staring at...)! Thanks. :D

BTW,

I guess everybody knows why HAL was named like that by A.C. Clarke, don't you? ;)

And, if you can answer the above, try this: can you trace the name Windows NT roots? :P

The NT version is no longer marketed, but is said to reflect the degree of changes to the core of the operating system[1]. The build number is an internal figure used by Microsoft's developers.

The NT version is no longer marketed, but is said to reflect the degree of changes to the core of the operating system[1]. The build number is an internal figure used by Microsoft's developers.

No... :D

The answer is somehow linked to the trivia about HAL name ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Skywalker

No... :D

The answer is somehow linked to the trivia about HAL name ... :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, it stood for "New Technology".

...Mark

[slight drift]

Three women are having lunch when one says, "My husband is a doctor, and he gives it to me reeeaaalll good. When he comes homes he slowly strips while telling me he's got the CURE!"

The second woman says that her husband is an automobile mechanic and when he gets home, he "really makes my motor p-u-r-r!"

The third woman breaks down crying and admits her husband works for Microsoft. She explains that when he gets home, all he can do is sit on the end of the bed crying into his hands and promising her how good it's going to be if and when she finally gets it.

[slight drift off]

Edited by ima45dv8

There was an old wifes tail about Windows NT, doing the HAL/IBM thing, but adding one from VMS, when David Cutler came over form Digital. I think he always denied it though...

I've been using it since 12/91, and still ove it. They can call it whatever they want for marketing. it's still NT to me. :)

Edited by BerKim

There was an old wifes tail about Windows NT, doing the HAL/IBM thing, but adding one from VMS, when David Cutler came over form Digital. I think he always denied it though...

That's what I had in mind.

Not sure if it's a wifes tail or if Cutler denied it, but I guess it could be true, since it was the very first (serious) attempt to have a PC-based OS which could handle networks (Win 3.11 was NOT a serious attempt), and it directly compared to VMS, the worldwide recognized standard.