Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Workbench / loading bench options?

matteekay

Hey all,

Just moved and I'm starting from scratch with my work bench and loading bench setup. I'll probably keep all the shooting-related activities in one spot (gonsmiffin', cleaning, loading, some tool storage, etc) but I could potentially run two or more benches in the same area if it makes sense to.

I know most folks are building their own benches from 2x4's and sheet lumber, but are there any turnkey options on the market that are worth looking at? Or anything that would work as a starting point I can build off of?

Thanks!

I use this, https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/yukon-tool-storage/tool-carts-cabinets/46-in-mobile-workbench-with-solid-wood-top-red-57779.html  

Screwed scrap of 12x12x 1/4 aluminum plate on the wood top and bolted my 1050 on top of the aluminum plate.  

I put my reloading components inside the lower cabinets and dies, spare part, and other tools needed in the drawer

Set up is solid and does not move when reloading

Whatever you buy, do not skimp on bench thickness.  I ended up buying an after market bench top, because the original bench top was too thin.  I would send pics of my setup, but they don't make the bench anymore and using the legs from the original bench legs on the new top would not be economical.  

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Whatever you buy, do not skimp on bench thickness.  I ended up buying an after market bench top, because the original bench top was too thin.  I would send pics of my setup, but they don't make the bench anymore and using the legs from the original bench legs on the new top would not be economical.  

Good point. My old setup was a rolling tool chest, but I knocked the wheels off and added a thick top to it. 

I’m pretty sure this is the most popular buy-at-low-cost reloading bench in history thus far:

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-three-drawer-hardwood-workbench-58832.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12192887200&campaignid=12192887200&utm_content=144634447606&adsetid=144634447606&product=58832&store=798&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEoDpqjMLn4nR46coTA5vdf8aeiScbqmtIyJHhPb_cFGE2EZKIRjXhhoCp_YQAvD_BwE

Tons of non-USPSA shooters use it or one of it’s former iterations, and tons of USPSA shooters have started out using this.

2 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

I’m pretty sure this is the most popular buy-at-low-cost reloading bench in history thus far:

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-three-drawer-hardwood-workbench-58832.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12192887200&campaignid=12192887200&utm_content=144634447606&adsetid=144634447606&product=58832&store=798&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEoDpqjMLn4nR46coTA5vdf8aeiScbqmtIyJHhPb_cFGE2EZKIRjXhhoCp_YQAvD_BwE

Tons of non-USPSA shooters use it or one of it’s former iterations, and tons of USPSA shooters have started out using this.

Ah, yes! The classic!

I don't believe the basement is currently framed out at all. If I can find a place to mount that so it doesn't move, it may be the perfect choice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 2:21 AM, Stmark73 said:

I use this, https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/yukon-tool-storage/tool-carts-cabinets/46-in-mobile-workbench-with-solid-wood-top-red-57779.html  

Screwed scrap of 12x12x 1/4 aluminum plate on the wood top and bolted my 1050 on top of the aluminum plate.  

I put my reloading components inside the lower cabinets and dies, spare part, and other tools needed in the drawer

Set up is solid and does not move when reloading

Actually, a question for you - did you leave the wheels on? 

3 hours ago, matteekay said:

Actually, a question for you - did you leave the wheels on? 

Yes, I left the wheels on. Propped up the front corners  with 2x2’s before the wife made me relocate it. Now, I just left out the 2x2’s for easy relocation. There’s a little wiggle of the whole tool storage, not noticable unless you really look into it.

Mark S

I've always liked the National Reloading Manufacturers Association bench. It is intended to build it yourself, but you could discuss it with a local carpenter or cabinet shop.

Working from memory at the moment, I recommend not cutting the 2" off the tabletop (H) and changing the support board to a 2x8 (E) instead of the 2x6 specified to leave a bit more overhang for mounting presses. (Checked once I looked at the plans again)

The plans are here:

*Reloading Bench Plans (shotgunsportsmagazine.com)

I recently needed a new reloading bench and was looking at the off the shelf options as lumber is still high.  Went antiquing with the wife and came across an old chemistry lab table for $45.  All oak and heavy as hell.  Added a platform underneath for storage.  Screwed it to the wall and have the 1050, 650 and a Star Progress bolted permanently on it.  Need to find room for the old Rock Chucker though.  I have another bench that I use for all my Mec's and other Star machines, but they are put away after use on it as is serves as a multipurpose bench.  Might find a gem on Facebook Marketplace for very little spent.  

On 10/19/2023 at 10:07 AM, Squishy said:

Mount it to the floor and walls if possible.

This is something I didn't appreciate until I actually started reloading.  I have a very heavy bench I made, with retractable casters. I figured there was no need to bolt it to the wall because of its size, and weight, and even putting a lot of force into it the bench had ALMOST no movement, when the casters were up, and it rested entirely on the floor.

I use an Inline Fabrication Quick change plate, so i can still use it as work bench for other things. 

After, I started loading, that tiny movement was a bit of an issue.  I built brackets that allowed me to bolt the bench to the wall, but also unbolt it, if I need to move the bench for other projects.  That made a huge difference.

I built a big bench out of 4x4’s and plywood. Then I skinned the top with the plastic wall covering that is used in commercial bathrooms on the walls.  It’s textured on one side and smooth on the other.  It’s kind of like a white pvc sheet 

I'll also add, if you change your mind, and decide to build, don't use end grain connections.   If you want to make it simple, and avoid real carpentry, you can use construction framing brackets.  They are simple, strong, and inexpensive.

Edited by ReconNav

My reloading bench has a framed 2x4 shelf that sits flush with the floor that I put all the heavy stuff reloaders need like bullets, tool boxes, etc.  I have no idea how much it weighs fully loaded, but my bench doesn’t move at all when I’m loading 

3 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Do you experience any sort of static electricity build up with this surface?

Not that I’ve noticed,  I’ll try and get a picture for you guys. 

edit:  this is what I use as a surface   Just backwards, The back is smooth. I used gorilla glue construction adhesive to glue it down, and I have no problems.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner-4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

• 2 months later...