Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz Czechmate FTF

Chapo

Without knowing all the details, I believe you should start with the sorting of headstamps, that in itself will give you a more consistent COAL, once you eliminate that variable you will see a rather dramatic difference and then you should be able to start to determine other variables that can be an issue such as dies, press, automation etc…. It was a world of difference since I have been sorting and further case prepping before actually reloading, yes it is more time invested but I can assure you it will minimize or pretty much eliminate the problem you are having as it did for me…

8 hours ago, Leezway said:

Without knowing all the details, I believe you should start with the sorting of headstamps, that in itself will give you a more consistent COAL, once you eliminate that variable you will see a rather dramatic difference and then you should be able to start to determine other variables that can be an issue such as dies, press, automation etc…. It was a world of difference since I have been sorting and further case prepping before actually reloading, yes it is more time invested but I can assure you it will minimize or pretty much eliminate the problem you are having as it did for me…

I agree with this.  If you sorted by head stamp that may help identifying the issue with wide coal gap.  If not than try new brass.  Just buy 200 pieces and load them up and see.

I still have a feeling that it's your set up.

Outside of loading for major matches I exclusively use mixed brass and don't have the wide coal issue that you have.  The only time I had an issue with coal was when i swapped to a different die which was a reading competition pro series

Before buying anything.. try taking say 100 of any headstamp you’d like, as long as they’re the same and load those and see if the variations get better. I had a friend that used mixed brass and his stuff was all over the place. I gave him a bunch of stuff I had, all same headstamp, but fully processed minus rollsized and he loaded  it up and got a variation of +/- .003” vs the .010-.015 he was off before that… worth a shot and won’t cost you a dime…

Tried to insert video but was too large. Here’s the video from YouTube explaining what my dies are to see if any of you can detect a problem right away. 

Edited by Chapo

For reference, I run a Czechmate with 115 Montana Gold or PD 115 JHPs, 8.4 gns of HS-6, 1.16 plus .005 COAL, and range pick up who knows how many times through the press brass. My loads are nowhere near being compressed, COAL doesn't vary by more than .005, and 20k plus problem free rounds through the gun. Grams tuned my mags, and I bought a Manson throater and gave the barrel a couple of twists so that the JHP's would plunk. I use a Dillon sizer and seater, and a Lee FCD.

I'm guessing you have either a seating die issue or a really inconsistent batch of bullets. The other obvious issue might be the auto drive on the press. No way is range brass accounting for the variance in COAL that you are seeing. I'm guessing that at your longer COAL's you have so little neck tension that the bullets are tilting in the case upon impact with the feed ramp and that is leading to your feeding issue. Figure out your COAL issue and the FTF will take care of itself. 

8 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

I'm guessing you have either a seating die issue or a really inconsistent batch of bullets. The other obvious issue might be the auto drive on the press.

I can agree with this. I’ve mentioned before assuming the dies and press are all ok. Not being there to see the press operation doesn’t help. Maybe something is off with the auto drive, and it’s not pressing fully on every stroke?…..

12 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

For reference, I run a Czechmate with 115 Montana Gold or PD 115 JHPs, 8.4 gns of HS-6, 1.16 plus .005 COAL, and range pick up who knows how many times through the press brass. My loads are nowhere near being compressed, COAL doesn't vary by more than .005, and 20k plus problem free rounds through the gun. Grams tuned my mags, and I bought a Manson throater and gave the barrel a couple of twists so that the JHP's would plunk. I use a Dillon sizer and seater, and a Lee FCD.

I'm guessing you have either a seating die issue or a really inconsistent batch of bullets. The other obvious issue might be the auto drive on the press. No way is range brass accounting for the variance in COAL that you are seeing. I'm guessing that at your longer COAL's you have so little neck tension that the bullets are tilting in the case upon impact with the feed ramp and that is leading to your feeding issue. Figure out your COAL issue and the FTF will take care of itself. 

Thanks man. I’ve been thinking of switching out some dies and using some Lee dies to try and isolate the seating problem, assuming that’s the issue. 

4 hours ago, Hollow-Point said:

I can agree with this. I’ve mentioned before assuming the dies and press are all ok. Not being there to see the press operation doesn’t help. Maybe something is off with the auto drive, and it’s not pressing fully on every stroke?…..

Yes. I can probably increase the torque in the M7 to try and see if the press is not torquing all the down. 

Hey Chapo, quick Pro-tip on the Dillon seating die. I got way more consistent COAL using the round nose seater instead of flipping it around to the what-seemed-obvious-for-me-to-try flat nosed seater, with both MG and PD JHPs. One other thing: I mentioned that I was using the Lee FCD, which will not affect your COAL. If you were going to try a Lee seater die then disregard. 

Couldn't see in the video, but are any of your dies touching the shellplate when the toolhead is full bottom? I know the sliding collar of the FW arms does, that doesn't matter, but sizing die, crimping die, any solid dies, touching, will mess up COAL. 

Dies to be cleaned occasionally. I would start there. Remove, disassemble clean, reassemble and test your COAL. 

Also, you have a mark 7 on the press don’t know what Dillon will if you call them. However, think they now selling Mark 7s. Suggest call Mark 7 first and if not better Dillon if no improvement. 

On 10/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, Chapo said:

I am using a Redding competition seating die. 

My experience with the Redding Comp die is it must be set up correctly or else it can have variance in OAL. I love them for precision rifle but found they didn't work as well for pistol loads. The simple Dillon seater or even the Lee does good work and has been very consistent with OAL for me over the years.

For the longest time since I started having COAL issues I thought the seating die might be the problem but thought to myself since it was so expensive it can’t be it.  Maybe not. 

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Taking the spring out and keeping the Redding Micrometer seating die clean is important for consistent OAL with that seating die.  Also it depends on the bullets you use.  I see a lot more variance with coated bullets than JHP/FMJ bullets.

I agree 100%. For me, the Redding die doesn’t seat any better than the Lee seating die I had.. it does make it waaaay easier to set a size after making one test round vs making a few and then having to pull them once I get my desired COAL. I did find much more consistency after removing the spring, and I keep all my dies clean anyhow.. I also see very slight more variance on coated vs plated/fmj/jhp….

Edited by Hollow-Point

• 3 weeks later...

First off “tuned” magazines do lose their tune.  Is it all mags or a specific mag? Is it your 170 mag?  I find those more troublesome.

Discrepency in reloaded rounds in COAL seems to be related to consistent bullet size.  Die setting (if tight) should not differ from round to round.  Try another bullet profile from someone else.  

I run my completed rounds thru a Lee FCD and case checker and don’t really focus on uniformity in COAL and my Czechmate runs like a top.  I use factory short tubes with an extension and MBX for 170mm for 100% function.

Went through thread today. Any progress? How do shorter round feed?  Another thought while reading the posts. Check she’ll plate on 1100 to ensure it is adjusted properly. If the lock screws aren’t thought enough and/or the polymer “pads” the screws push against the thread harden the shell plate may be

out of proper adjustment.