Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What dot and reticle is Max Leograndis using nowadays?

I saw him at PCC Nats with what looks like a 507Comp. I was wondering which reticle in the 507Comp he was using. Given his previous reticle choices I have to imagine it was the 2 MOA dot and 32 MOA ring but anyone actually know? I asked him on Instagram but got no response lol

4 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Because you're not looking through the housing. Window size or "objective" is totally immaterial. A person shouldn't be treating a rds like a scope and looking through the window.

Having a larger window lets you still see the dot when you’re in an awkward position relative to the gun. There is more room for error in head placement, which is more forgiving when you’re shooting. Some leans force bad and placement just due to the position

if your logic was correct, we would be able to use eraser sized windows that have a dot reflected off the glass

The window on the 507 Comp is not much smaller than the window on an EoTech.  You also loose some window size on the EoTech due to the fact there is somewhat of a tube component because of the construction of Holographic optics.  

I have actually given consideration to switching from the EoTech to the 510 comp on my PCC before knowing Max seem to have made that switch.  The 510 Comp is considerably lighter, great window size, small footprint, etc.  

Mostly I just want to play with the 510 Comp.   

I don’t think it would matter which dot he uses. Buy something that is reliable and focus on the shooting, not the gear. 

Point being, I use DPPs with 2moa dot. Justine uses SROs 

Max had the new 507COMP 

I don’t think it would have made me beat either of them at nationals had I used the same dot…

25 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I don’t think it would matter which dot he uses. Buy something that is reliable and focus on the shooting, not the gear. 

Point being, I use DPPs with 2moa dot. Justine uses SROs 

Max had the new 507COMP 

I don’t think it would have made me beat either of them at nationals had I used the same dot…

I agree, I’m a GM in SC and a M in PCC. I have a 507Comp on my PCC, so I was curious what reticle he was using. It’s not exactly deleterious to ask for what the best are using

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Using your reasoning a dinner plate sized window would be excellent.  So it cuts both ways.

Ideally there'd be no window frame/housing if you ask me.

It would not be because you run into the challenge of fragility, weight, and size.

however, a moderately larger window is beneficial as noted that the 507Comp, SRO, etc exist even though there are smaller windows on many dots

8 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

You pretty much run  DPPs, correct?

I have 8 DPPs that I’ve accrued over the years and haven’t had major issues with them. A few have made it back to the factory for the typical repairs. They’ve always treated me well so why replace it?

Max had an instagram video a year or so ago where he discussed optics

• He likes the 510c, but found it didn't get ultra bright. I agree with this actually, have one on my PCC and it's enough for sunny days but barely - I'd like brighter since I prefer to bloom the smaller MOA dots. Still thought it was a good optic
  • He switched to Eotech single dot because it got extremely bright

Once he switched to a JP5 he was running the Sig Romeo3XL for a while. I asked him why, and apparently the ejection pattern on the JP5 would sometimes hit the Eotech housing. Though didn't cause any issues, he was wary of it anyways

If he has now switched to a 507Comp it makes sense, as my 507Comp on my pistol gets extremely bright. So essentially has fixed his qualms with the 510c, and it's also cheaper than the Sig Romeos. 

8 minutes ago, whan said:

apparently the ejection pattern on the JP5 would sometimes hit the Eotech housing. Though didn't cause any issues, he was wary of it anyways

This does happen, is another reason I was thinking of moving off the EoTech.  I have not notices a malfunction due to this clearance.   The JP5 spits the brass at more of an upward angle than my GMR did.  

Makes sense. I noticed the brightness from the 507Comp as well as my RTS2

The standard footprint of the 507 comp is nice though. Makes sense that he uses the single 2MOA dot. Thank you for your feedback!

I was curious about the reticle since I already have the 507Comp hehe

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 1:46 PM, whan said:

If he has now switched to a 507Comp it makes sense, as my 507Comp on my pistol gets extremely bright. So essentially has fixed his qualms with the 510c, and it's also cheaper than the Sig Romeos. 

Came to the same conclusion just recently. Got a 507comp in for the LO gun and it seems like it has 1 extra "click" of brightness vs the 510c's that I have on PCC/rifles. Going to try one out on a scalarworks mount for the PCC pretty soon. I prefer single dots only, no need for the donuts and other goofiness.

Love the 510c...just in the absolute brightest sunlight find it a little lacking.