Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot wider than slide, moved to open?

r4ptor

Hi folks,

We had an interesting discussion today.

Given a CZ shadow 2 OR with the factory plate and a holosun 507comp.

The plate sits flush with the slide and does not stick out of the sides of the slide.

However the holosun is slightly wider than the slide.

Could in this constellation the reddot be seen as a charging or racking handle and therefore the shooter be moved into open instead of production optics?

Edited by r4ptor

1 minute ago, r4ptor said:

Hi folks,

We had an interesting discussion today.

Given a CZ shadow 2 OR with the factory plate and a holosun 507comp.

The plate sits flush with the slide and does not stick out of the sides of the slide.

However the holosun is slightly wider than the slide.

Could in this constellation the Reddit be seen as a charging or racking handle and therefore the shooter be moved into open instead of production optics?

Not even in MY mind

32 minutes ago, r4ptor said:

Thought so, thanks.

Another thing would be if the mounting plate is wider than the slide I guess?

There were optic mounts that had wings to use as a slide racker. That will get you into wide OPEN spaces. If it is just a plate, it is just a plate. 

Got it, thanks.

Just was curious since this did in fact happen to a buddy a while back at a lvl3 match.

The first five or so stages were fine.

At the next stage the RO told him he's moved to open since the plate sticks out 1mm or so and therefore is not flat with the slide. No wings, no serrations or so. Just s plate that sticks out left 0.5mm and right 0.5mm. And therefore can be identified as a racking device.

That was a stage with 12 shots or so, starting loaded.

So there wasn't even a need to reload and use the "racking plate".

We were all shaking heads but he accepted it since he did not have any chance of winning anyway.

Just a very bitchy RO, but well...

Edited by r4ptor

Since you're measuring in millimeters, I'm guessing this is an ipsc match you're discussing. I don't know what the arbitration rules are there. In the USPSA I would have pulled out my hundo and said let's get after it. But I'm not real savvy on ipsc stuff

The only place that addresses this issue is appendix D7.22. It states that the slide racking devices are prohibited, so under rule D7.21 it would be a move to open.

The problem is that the term "slide racking" device is not defined in the glossary or elsewhere, so I call BS on any statement by the RO where he talks about some measurements and the optics extending from the slide. More importantly, it's the RM who must make the call per D7.21. 

Optics is not a slide racking device even if it can be used for that purpose. It is frustrating to have ROs reinterpret the rules on the spot and try to mess with the plain reading of the rules. 

4 minutes ago, r4ptor said:

Sorry forgot to mention this important bit: yes we are talking about IPSC.

Ooops, IPSC has slightly different rules, with most differences being in the gear setup, so it's best to look at the IPSC rule book and pull out the exact rules that deal with this issue. In USPSA it would be a very stretched interpretation to try to call a red dot a slide racker and get the RM onboard to support such a stretch. 

On 9/6/2023 at 3:06 PM, Blackstone45 said:

IPSC rules just say that racking/cocking handles are prohibited. It would take some really creative interpretation of the rules to say that an optics plate that sticks out slightly is a racking handle. Appeal to RM, and if that fails, fork up for arbitration.

Based solely on what I've read here as to the description of the situation, I concur.

The only thing I've ever seen discussed (IPSC) as a racking device was a sight plate that had 'grip ridges' on it and was advertised as such. I'll see if I can find a pic.

From the website.

"Included on our design are cocking serrations to assist with unloaded starts. Very light weight."Eemann Tech Aluminium Red Dot Mount for Glock

Edited by terrydoc

On 9/6/2023 at 10:53 PM, rowdyb said:

all optics are slide rackers hahahha

During last weekend's IPSC Match, I observed over a hundred competitors handling their pistols. A pretty significant number of Production Optics shooters used the optic itself for racking the slide.

On 9/9/2023 at 9:38 AM, terrydoc said:

The only thing I've ever seen discussed (IPSC) as a racking device was a sight plate that had 'grip ridges' on it and was advertised as such. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Yeah, this one is an easy case.

However the plate in question with my buddy was something like that(not exactly that model, but basically a dovetail reddot mount without something sticking out by design)

https://benstoegerproshop.com/czc-cz-shadow-2-sp-01-multi-optic-red-dot-sight-base-cut-by-cz-custom/

And in that case, this isn't even close to a "racking handle".

So yeah, thanks for all the replies, I think we can agree that calling out somebody by a normal plate is kind of dumb and reddots are racking devices on steroids by design. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IPSC has no box for production/production optics.

Only has to be on the production list, follow the allowed modification and only have 15 bang tubes in the mag at beep.

I think I didn't specify he was starting in production optics, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...