Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make your Rival S reliable

partyboy424

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen that with mine, at all.  😀

I didn't know it but the Henning Base pads PREVENT it with their design. 

I've running TTI and Henning with my Rival S Dark Side and (knock on wood) no issues. 😉

32 minutes ago, Chutist said:

I have not seen that with mine, at all.  😀

I didn't know it but the Henning Base pads PREVENT it with their design. 

I've running TTI and Henning with my Rival S Dark Side and (knock on wood) no issues. 😉

Good to know. The triggers on these things are phenomenal but the reliability issues that I keep on hearing are keeping me from buying one. 

Yup, I read all that too.  I'm a sample of one (1K+ and 4 or 5 matches in...) and mine is one of the "new" guns.  If you buy a gun made this year, I think you'll be fine. 😉

1 hour ago, Chutist said:

Yup, I read all that too.  I'm a sample of one (1K+ and 4 or 5 matches in...) and mine is one of the "new" guns.  If you buy a gun made this year, I think you'll be fine. 😉

thanks, good to know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my rival s darkside 2024 date 7000+ serial number…I think it said February or April on the sticker (dont have the case with me). First 70 rounds had 1 FTF. googled issues saw the over insertion issues. Checked all my mags and while they did not keep the slide open i could 100% feel it binding on the slide as i cycled it. Filed the magazine lip very slightly where I saw wear and fired another 150 rounds today. 4 FTE in 150 rounds, 2 stove pipe type malfunctions and 2 failure where the empty brass didnt even make it out of the barrel. Didnt seem to matter what magazine I used or whether or not the mag was completely full or empty (had one on second to last round). I see the solutions here but might just send it to canik... I suspect the throating on the barrel isnt correct or the striker is knocking the brass off the extractor slightly. I checked the tension of the extractor like you would a 1911 and it feels like it has plenty of tension. Mostly posting this to tell people it seems like they still have issues, or maybe I got really unlucky. 

FWIW I only tried blazer 115gr and 124gr jacketed ammo. 

Edited by Lox

Just as an example of inconsistency issues with Canik (long story not worth detailing): on my TP9SFx lots of folks were obtaining great results with lighter springs, polishing, etc. I could not get any of that to work (meaning to make the trigger "good" instead of somewhat bad) until I replaced the original striker assembly, trigger bar and safety plunger with new Canik parts, after which it works 100% better - no mods, just replacement parts.  This just shows that some Caniks are "lucky" and some are not; maybe this goes for all brands, but evidence seems to show that with Canik some luck is helpful. The -S saga so far is matching my TP9SFx experience.