Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light duty 9mm loads

Squirrel45

Hi guys 

Im just about out of 8#s of ramshot competition that I have used in 9mm with 100g projectiles. I was wondering if anyone has used N310 or titewad  for light 9s. These loads do not need to make pf. 

Thanks 

I personally think that RS Comp and Tight Wad are pretty close to the same powder with Comp maybe a RCH slower. Per volume they are virtually the same weight and the speed difference I noticed could have been from lot differences as it was only about .2 of a grain. 

Thanks for the reply, I thought they might be similar. But near each other on the burn rate and both come in less then 1lb volumes. Does titewad meter well?

Edited by Squirrel45
Corrected data

Eh, it’s staticky, fluffy and sticks to everything. I haven’t run a bunch of it through a powder measure, just mostly single loadings for testing. I do like it in 1 oz shotgun loads. Really light and clean.

Your results may vary...

115 gr with 3.0 N310 = 111 pf out of a 5" barrel - Super soft shooting.

115 gr with 3.7 N310 = 123 pf

115 gr with 4.0 N310 = 131 pf

Edited by xrrcr

WST takes up alot of room for its weight and is a pretty fast powder, seems to burn clean enough for minor 40 pressures. I used to use it for 125 pf under 135 old school hard cast for long loaded 9mm Laser casts. Might be easier to come by,, but seems the online chatter says prices have gone way up on WST for some reason.

13 hours ago, Joe4d said:

WST takes up alot of room for its weight and is a pretty fast powder, seems to burn clean enough for minor 40 pressures. I used to use it for 125 pf under 135 old school hard cast for long loaded 9mm Laser casts. Might be easier to come by,, but seems the online chatter says prices have gone way up on WST for some reason.

Everything has taken a jump in price. It seems that the older powders have jumped the most, ie 231, WST, IMR 4350, ect. Alliant has boosted theirs too to the point that they are equivalent to VV powders. 

I tried 310 a while ago across the full range of loads with 115gr JHP's and couldn't get any accuracy out of it. I'll try it in 45 next because it's said to be good for that.

I currently use Bullseye for my light loads.

4 hours ago, Farmer said:

Everything has taken a jump in price. It seems that the older powders have jumped the most, ie 231, WST, IMR 4350, ect. Alliant has boosted theirs too to the point that they are equivalent to VV powders. 

Figures,,, I was expecting this when Hodgdon  got western powders and accurate...  Consolidation, lack of competition, monopoly then jack prices.   Same thing we are seeing with primers.  This country used to have anti trust laws. 

I have used Titewad successfully for a play around 9mm PCC load (blowback).  It also does not make power factor, but shoots incredibly soft and also eliminates any blowback, even with a 16" barrel and suppressor.  I was also using 100 grain bullets and, while I don't have the velocity numbers right in front of me, they were subsonic which means well under power factor.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:25 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Hi guys 

Im just about out of 8#s of ramshot competition that I have used in 9mm with 100g projectiles. I was wondering if anyone has used N310 or titewad  for light 9s. These loads do not need to make pf. 

Thanks 

Hey, new guy here.

I've been loading TiteWad for years for slow quiet subsonic loads. Mostly Berry's TPFPHB 9mm. Recently loaded some 147gr Xtreme with an unpublished load of 2.7gr(The only published loads are for 124gr) and they are looking pretty good and quiet. I need to chrono them. Will post if I do. Here they are thru my 2 PSA Daggers and CZ SP01 with YHM Sidewinder.

I recently picked up some Nitro100 NF which has similar burn rate and the charges are nearly identical to TW. Flattened spherical powder should meter well but I haven't opened it yet. My Lee auto-drum has zero problems metering small charges of TiteWad accurately.

Edited by Chils

I got some good results with the N310. Very good accuracy and most importantly cleaner then Ram competition. Oddly though that I need .3g more of the VV N310 to reach the same velocity as RS competition. Overall I'm happy

Thanks

5 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

I got some good results with the N310. Very good accuracy and most importantly cleaner then Ram competition. Oddly though that I need .3g more of the VV N310 to reach the same velocity as RS competition. Overall I'm happy

Thanks

Good deal. I’ve also noticed that with euro powders and they seem to reach peak psi more gently. 

WST has become my favorite powder for 9mm, .40 and .45acp. Caught some on sale at MSS a couple of years ago and bought two 8lb jugs. Natchez had it on sale this year with free hazmat and shipping. Bought 6 one lb bottles. I load 2.8 gr with a 160 gr bullet in 9mm for PCC and handgun. 3.0 gr in .45 with a 200gr LSWC for PCC and .45 minor. It meters like Titegroup. I sold a friend my jugs of Clays and Clay Dot to use in his Banshee. The only powders I currently own are Solo 1000, Titegroup and WST. I have to bump the 9mm load up to 3.0 grs when my wife shoots her 9mm 1911 to make PF. I mostly load .45acp for my uses as I have around 50K of LPP. Down to 30K of SPP. 

I used to run WST for a couple years then when I couldn't find it I went to competition. I too had good luck with WST but it was kinda dirty at low pressure. However it was no where near as dirty as Tite group yikes.

Attached is a picture of Tite group, Ram competition and vvn310 hard to tell but  but n310 is slightly better then the others.

IMG_20230617_125925252.jpg

Edited by Squirrel45

E3 is really clean and accurate too, it’s just kinda flaky and doesn’t go through some powder measure’s very well at low chg weights. I usually run 3.2 for 125’s, 2.8 for 147’s for 130 Pf. 

21 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

I used to run WST for a couple years then when I couldn't find it I went to competition. I too had good luck with WST but it was kinda dirty at low pressure. However it was no where near as dirty as Tite group yikes.

Attached is a picture of Tite group, Ram competition and vvn310 hard to tell but  but n310 is slightly better then the others.

IMG_20230617_125925252.jpg

Now I remember why I quit using TG awhile back. TiteWad is much cleaner