Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stove pipes in TS2 with aftermarket 9mm barrel

midatlantic

Just got done putting 220 rounds of 124gr Blazer through my CZ F4F TS, and 0 FTE.

it's a 40 upper converted to 9mm with barrel and extractor switch. Before filing the 9mm extractor, I was getting 1 FTE every 100 rounds or so after switching from the 40 extractor to 9mm extractor. 

I tried dropping recoil spring from 13lb down to 10lb with same FTE issue. 

Before filing down the depth pad on the extractor, when I inserted an empty casing into the breech face channel under the extractor, the case would not be held in snugly by the extractors claw. 

After filing, its held down firmly and requiring some effort to remove the casing. 

I attached a picture of the casing in the channel before filing, see how its leaning forward due to no tension from the extractor claw grabbing onto the casing at all? I filed down .3mm of the depth pad on the extractor to allow the extractor claw to make contact with the casing once inserted. 

I will continue to shoot and will update if I run into FTE again. Currently running 8lb recoil spring. 

Thanks again for the help. 20230621_180701.thumb.jpg.6b764f1b0840744e14440ce9ef10addb.jpg

On 6/1/2023 at 4:18 PM, midatlantic said:

Hi - have a .40 TS2 in which Ive installed a CZCustom 9mm barrel. 

when shooting 9mm I get a regular diet of failure to fully extract. See photos. I've installed a 9mm extractor, and have tried various combination of springs, magazine and recoil. Currently running an 11 lb recoil.

The rounds used here were Remington 115s, but it happens with a variety of rounds, reloads as well as commercial.

It occurs somewhere between rounds 5 and 15,,,,varies, not consistent

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

FYI - a note:

If you look carefully at third photo it shows that the barrel struck the cartridge before the cartridge was fully clear.

and doesn't do it with factory 40 barrel

IMG_3805.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

IMG_3807.jpeg

IMG_3809.jpeg

Did that CZC barrel require fitting?

Before filing, when empty casing is inserted into the breech face channel, it would move in whichever direction it's leaning since the extractor claw is not holding onto the casing. This is due to the extractor depth pad not being at appropriate depth to allow the extractor claw to make contact with the casing. Casing would fall out every time with any movement to the slide...And I think it shows in how the malfunction happens, the extractor claw has no tension on the casing, so when the slide moves back during cycling, it just lets go of the casing, not pulling it back with the slide to be extracted, hence the parallel position of the empty casing. 

After filing, the casing is caught by the extractor claw the moment it slides it, pushing the extractor out a bit, you can visually see this very minor movement. The casing pushes the extractor out once inserted, the extractor pushes onto the spring, providing tension and holds the casing in place, no movement whatsoever, even when I turn the slide over, and minor shaking. 

I needed to take off ~.3mm for this to happen. Yours will vary, but just go slowly until the casing is able to slide in with some resistance from the extractor claw holding it flushed with the breech face. You should be able to pick up the slide, do some minor shaking, and the extractor claw would hold the empty casing in place. 

20230622_234605.jpg

Capture.PNG

20230615_182624.jpg

Edited by khogau

• 2 weeks later...