Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock G35 slide stop issue

KB007

I built a G35 for a distraction from 9mm major for open (IPSC).  I built it using a G35 with a KKM comp'd barrel, Gomney Alpha trigger and a few other bits, but left things like the locking block and slide stop and spring are stock.

I've been loading 180grn pills with various powders and for the most part it's been fine.  Recently tho, I've started having an issue where the slide will lock back for now reason.  I know I'm not riding the slide stop, I've had others watch my thumbs and confirmed I am not pushing the slide stop up or touching it in any way.  It was fine most of last year, using the same loads (TG to WAC with 10 grn fcp pills.

Any idea why this has started now??

Probably not helpful, but I found that happening with a G17 open build of mine as well. My only possible guess was that the gun was more violent and something was bouncing? But I just took it out since I shouldn't be shooting to empty anyhow.

I believe the stock Glock 35 slide stop is an extended one. I had the same problem with my 34. I replaced my slide stop with one from a 17 and it solved my problem. The 17’s slide stop is not extended and I was inadvertently hitting it with my thumb. Worth a try since the part is so cheap. Hope this helps. 

The "downside" to totally removing the Slide Stop Lever on any Glock is that the SSL locks into the grooves of the Trigger Pin and prevents said pin from walking out to the side.

A possible cure would be to tweak the SSL spring so that it exerts a little more downward pressure on the Stop Lever.

Another thing to check is to ensure that the profile of your bullet doesn't come close to the SSL tab on the inside of the magwell.  That can cause intermittent engagement of the Slide Stop Lever whenever a bullet touches it.

A G35 shouldn't generate enough slide velocity to impart such violence to the frame that the SSL bounces around, if everything is in-spec.

I think we can isolate your causes to: inadvertently touching it, weak SSL spring, or bullets touching the tab.

PM me if I can help further.

Edited by Braxton1