Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prodigy magwell options…

cheers623

Anyone modify the Prodigy grip to accept magwells made for the STI grip? I know the Dawson tactical magwell fits, and that EGW makes one specifically for it. But others? I’ve got a box of Dawson ICE, SVI, and others. Would love to use one of them instead of buying yet another. Any help appreciated!

The regular STI magwell works ok if you take the ribs down a bit on the sides of the Prodigy grip.  Simple filing or sanding or scraping work

I modify Dawson ICE magwells to fit, and while it's a simple cut, it's also a CNC cut unless you are good with a mill and rotary table or have mad Dremel sanding drum skills.  The problem there is the 'toe' of the Prodigy grip is blunter top to bottom than the STI and any magwell that hooks over the toe won't fit.  Probably with the right size rat-tail file or Dremel drum you could knock the top of the Prodigy grip toe down to fit as well.

Here's the Prodigy grip showing how it won't fit all the way into a Dawson Ice.

img1.jpg

This is it on a STI grip.

img2.jpg

23 minutes ago, shred said:

The regular STI magwell works ok if you take the ribs down a bit on the sides of the Prodigy grip.  Simple filing or sanding or scraping work

I modify Dawson ICE magwells to fit, and while it's a simple cut, it's also a CNC cut unless you are good with a mill and rotary table or have mad Dremel sanding drum skills.  The problem there is the 'toe' of the Prodigy grip is blunter top to bottom than the STI and any magwell that hooks over the toe won't fit.  Probably with the right size rat-tail file or Dremel drum you could knock the top of the Prodigy grip toe down to fit as well.

Here's the Prodigy grip showing how it won't fit all the way into a Dawson Ice.

img1.jpg

This is it on a STI grip.

img2.jpg

@shredThanks brother! That’s exactly what I needed to know. I figured it was just the side “ribs” on the prodigy grip that needed to be reduced/removed. Not that simple, I guess. I think I’ll just go with the EGW for now. Can’t thank you enough!

• 1 month later...

So has anyone trimmed up a dawson ice magwell to fit onto a prodigy?

I keep thinking about doing it. I assume if I'd remove the thickness highlighted in yellow above that would be enough material to get the magwell onto the prodigy grip.

I have 2 "dawson" magwells on other guns. One is on a plastic sti grip. The prodigy mags lock up there fine. The other has a cheely steel grip and prodigy mags won't seat in that magwell. 

Looks like using the EGW magwell the prodigy base pads will need to be trimmed 

https://www.egwguns.com/blog/2023/03/10/springfield-prodigy-quick-mag-well-fitting/ 

Anyone been down this road?

Edited by Chillywig

It's not quite that simple, but if you cut the flat part at the front out, you'll likely be close enough to fit the rest.   Check the inside of the magwell to see how much 'bump' there is that blocks the Prodigy grip toe.

Took about 15 mins worth of dremeling and test fitting. Had to cut back the the opening then thin the profile of the inside thickness of the mag well. Factory 20 an 17 round Prodigy mags seat easily without having to trim their base pads. I am pretty happy with the way this worked. 

• 4 weeks later...