Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge rifle builders.

rbx

I do not see that he builds rifles.  All I found is him on Facebook and it appeared he is shooting a Magnum Research rifle?Do you have a link? 

Thanks,

Roy

15 hours ago, rbx said:

I am looking for someone to build a .22 Steel Challenge rife for me. Any/All recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy

10/22 is the most customizable platform.  There are a number of good combinations that will be around 4 lbs.  Without the red dot the build cost can easily be $1,200 to $1,500 with aluminum stocks, competition barrels, etc.

but before I list some of the build options, if you are looking for a good gun at much less cost to start with, look at the Ruger 15/22.  With a good single stage trigger it is a good SCSA gun.  Many GM’s use them.

37 minutes ago, rbx said:

I am aware of the cost, just looking for an experienced builder...

99% of components, barrels, triggers, chassis, are drop in or specialty built to 10/22 specs.  Lot of choices.  

Do you have SCSA matches near you?usually there are a variety of these type guns at local steel matches for you to see.  Probably someone there who could build….or really assemble one for you.

if you buy a complete gun from Volquartsen or Magnum Research you may not like all the components and wind up spending more money to get the build you like.

Buy a Volquartsen Ultralight and put it in to a Weiland stock. Put your choice of red dot on and you are done with a top-of-the-line gun.  you don't need a custom builder, Volquartsen took care of that.

Edited by hornetx40
added more

On 5/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, rbx said:

Yes, I shoot the Challenge monthly.  Again, I am looking for a builder with experience for a .22 custom rifle build.  

I think the problem that people are having in terms of answering your question is "....for what?"

.22 custom rifle---for SC? Something else?  Irons?  Open?  Are you looking for a 'smith to literally build something from scratch?  Or are you wanting someone able to put together already-available parts to a coherent whole?

If it is the last, any average person can already do that on their own.   (Aftermarket parts for 10/22s and such are readily available, and almost all of them are drop-in.)

And there are plenty of custom rifles are already available from places like ModShot, VQ, TacCom, etc in different configurations that you can order right away. 

So it might help to clarify exactly what you want your custom builder to be able to do that you couldn't just directly get from any of the above sources, or that you couldn't do yourself easily.  That way people will be able to give you more specific answers.

What do you need your custom rifle builder to be able to do for you?

Thomas,

I am looking for a reliable Gunsmith to assemble various available aftermarket parts to my specific liking.  Someone who has done this before a few times specifically using a 10/22. I want to only shoot Steel Challenge with it. 

That's all.

I break anything I touch...almost.  Repairs/modifications that is.

4 hours ago, hornetx40 said:

Buy a Volquartsen Ultralight and put it in to a Weiland stock. Put your choice of red dot on and you are done with a top-of-the-line gun.  you don't need a custom builder, Volquartsen took care of that.

Ill second this I have 2, one irons, one optic, they both run perfect. I use modded magpul stocks btw on mine (just because they fit me perfect) 

So, it is the simplest of simple things to build a first rate Steel Challenge gun.  First, call Volquartsen and order a receiver and their lightweight carbon barrel.  If u like a bit heavier trigger, order the Volquartsen trigger - it is excellent, however the Kidd trigger is lighter and also excellent.  I use both - one in my RFRI gun and one in my RFRO gun.  I will be moving to a Kidd trigger in both soon as they are different enough that it has caused a few issues.  So now you have a barrel and receiver (Volquartsen will put them together for you) and a drop in trigger (two pins) that mount in the chassis/stock of your choice (with a single screw) - tons of options.  I chose Wiland USA's chassis - lightweight and the finish is very nicely done.

I've been shooting Steel Challenge for about two years now.  Just shot two of the four stages needed for GM this week (practice helps) w RFRI.  I am confident that anyone can shoot well with whatever they chose - if they practice...

Best of luck...good shooting!

PS - I'm not sponsored by anyone...make sure to get some quality magazines, keep them clean and buy good ammo for the matches.

Cheers!

On 5/12/2023 at 3:11 PM, rbx said:

Thomas,

I am looking for a reliable Gunsmith to assemble various available aftermarket parts to my specific liking.  Someone who has done this before a few times specifically using a 10/22. I want to only shoot Steel Challenge with it. 

That's all.

I break anything I touch...almost.  Repairs/modifications that is.

If you already have the parts picked out that you want, you can probably just give it to any competent gunsmith and they can do it for you, though obviously one that has worked on competition guns before would probably be best.    10/22s are really easy to work with, and given how many parts are out there that have a ton of history, putting together a build isn't hard.  (The hardest part is making sure the barrel is put in correctly.  The rest is....surprisingly simple.  I personally love 10/22s for that very reason.). With a 10/22, pick a barrel, stock, and trigger kit, and there's 90% of what will make the gun awesome, and any competent gunsmith can put those in for you.  (If you want to add other stuff, VQ, TK, and TacCom makes literally drop-in parts for firing pins, better extractors, etc.  And while a dedicated .22 'smith will do extras to smooth out areas and make it perfect, pretty much anyone can drop in those parts and make them work well.  Again, to a really really surprising degree.)

If you are looking for someone who will pick OUT aftermarket parts to give you the feel and function you describe to them.....that's a lot harder.  Contacting someone like Striplin will definitely give you the best results for something like that.

I would be surprised if there isn’t a fellow shooter or two who could give you advice and do the assembly.  Assembly is 5 to 10 minute job depending on chassis type.

if you’re going for light and shoot SV and HV ammo, check out the Briley Raptor 10/22 barrel.  Full length but around 11 oz.  I have 5 of them.  All run 100%.

3 hours ago, Hoops said:

if you’re going for light and shoot SV and HV ammo, check out the Briley Raptor 10/22 barrel.  Full length but around 11 oz.

I put the Raptor in my build - Kidd receiver and internals - and did it for the reliability. So far, so good. I hate reliability issues.

Edited by lgh

18 hours ago, lgh said:

I put the Raptor in my build - Kidd receiver and internals - and did it for the reliability. So far, so good. I hate reliability issues.

While we are on the subject of 10/22's:

My critical parts are Magnum Research Switchbolt receiver, MR bolt, Volquartsen extractor, Kidd Single Stage Trigger,  Briley Raptor barrel, TandemKross Double clear magazines with factory rotar and TK green spring.  I run a Sig Romeo 3 XL on 1/2" riser.  Each gun runs 100% for me.  

Chassis, in my opinon is more about what you feel comfortable with.  Plenty of options to choose from.  

If you are building a Ruger 10/22 variant there are so many option for customization.  If you like the AR-style then a S&W 15-22 is a good choice, but less options for aftermarket.

10/22:

For trigger group I would recommend the Tandemkross Manticore.  It's a 100% fully assembled after-market trigger group with all the TK goodies already installed.  I'm running Wiland chassis's and barrels in Tactical Innovations receivers.  I like the TI chassis but you have to do some sanding and filing to get pins and parts to fit as their coatings are a little thick.  Or go with the stainless set.  Might fit better.  A the minimum you need a receiver, barrel, trigger group, bolt and chassis.  Or you could buy one off the rack and then make changes to that.

15-22:

As this is AR-style things like AR triggers work great.  But you need to make sure that the trigger pins are compatible.  Mine is set up with a CMC 3.5# drop in trigger with the CMC pins for the 15-22.  You can get barrels from Volquartsen or Taccom.  The Taccom is a short barrel with a sleeve and MIGHT need a lighter spring, but not always the case.  Tandemkross also makes some aftermarket parts.

to the OP:  I completely understand not wanting to do it yourself, even if it seems easy it might be more than you anticipated.  I see no problems asking for assistance.  Any local gunsmith should be able to put everything together for you. The 10/22 is 100% customizable and most folks competing have built themselves some great FrankenRugers.  The 15-22 is less so, but that kinda makes it easier on the wallet and you can still build a great-running rifle.  

So i bought a Volquartson Ultralight and now have to decide on a Chassis.  I am liking Crazy Ivan's.  I need to be able to mount a vertical fore grip due to shoulder limitations...

22 minutes ago, rbx said:

So i bought a Volquartson Ultralight and now have to decide on a Chassis.  I am liking Crazy Ivan's.  I need to be able to mount a vertical fore grip due to shoulder limitations...

Two of my friends shoot Ivan chassis with extended rail.  They like the grip attachment feature also.  One is M clas and the other is GM.  It’s a light set up.  

good luck

I just hope I get the rifle as I do not se them for sale anywhere.  I bought it online from Cabela's yesterday. It was on sale for $200 off no less!