Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s mods for Ruger PC have you guys tried

Just picked up a ruger pc9 for a price I couldn’t refuse. I was not overly excited about it. But I recently took it to the range and my jaw dropped when I saw how accurate it was! (Pic below)

The only thing I’m not crazy about is the stock, which I will be replacing with the magpul backpacker (to keep it legal in NY) and I would like to smooth out the recoil vibration. Anyone have a good combo set up in doing this, with various springs and buffers? Any tips would be greatly appreciated !

EE5DFB04-D1FD-4534-A0BF-5EDCC1D41F5E.jpeg

8 hours ago, blue72 said:

Just picked up a ruger pc9 for a price I couldn’t refuse. I was not overly excited about it. But I recently took it to the range and my jaw dropped when I saw how accurate it was! (Pic below)

The only thing I’m not crazy about is the stock, which I will be replacing with the magpul backpacker (to keep it legal in NY) and I would like to smooth out the recoil vibration. Anyone have a good combo set up in doing this, with various springs and buffers? Any tips would be greatly appreciated !

EE5DFB04-D1FD-4534-A0BF-5EDCC1D41F5E.jpeg

The pc has basically no ability to change springs. You can put a different buffer type pad in the back behind the bolt. But only a small small change. Think of it like a 10/22 action.

It doesnt use a buffer tube like a direct blowback Ar9.

I had one previously I put it in the crom chassis with magpul stock, changed the hanguard, put the mccarbo internal upgrades, magwell and volquartsen trigger. 

If I was to build one again I would use a different trigger and put the taccom lightweight upper/ short barrel with aluminum sleeve on it. 

Edited by Z-Chaos-Factor
7 hours ago, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

The pc has basically no ability to change springs. You can put a different buffer type pad in the back behind the bolt. But only a small small change. Think of it like a 10/22 action.

It doesnt use a buffer tube like a direct blowback Ar9.

I had one previously I put it in the crom chassis with magpul stock, changed the hanguard, put the mccarbo internal upgrades, magwell and volquartsen trigger. 

If I was to build one again I would use a different trigger and put the taccom lightweight upper/ short barrel with aluminum sleeve on it. 

did the buffer reduce the vibration from the recoil at all?

unfortunately there isn't much other than adding a buffer to try to smooth out the recoil of the Ruger.  What I can say is that it is a way different impulse than a traditional AR-style so it takes some getting used to.  I have run my in Steel Challenge with loads as low as 90PF (although the brass barely ejected).  I know in NY you are hamstrung on your accessories, but I'm using pretty much all Tandemkross parts including the chassis.  I had Wiland cut my barrel down and sleeve it, but Taccom makes a full barrel replacement as well.  

2022-06-11 17.04.06.jpg

I installed the Volquartsen "Target Hammer" in mine and it made a very noticeable improvement in the trigger pull.  VQ no longer shows it (or any other parts for the PC Carbine) on their website but it should be available on ebay.  A low cost and very worthwhile upgrade.

I've also installed TandemKross' trigger group cross pins, and their "Bolt Keeper" extended bolt hold-open and retaining pin and Taccom's ambidextrous rotary safety.

Edited by SteelCityShooter
1 hour ago, dapribek said:

My buddy has used a variety of ammo and hasn’t noticed any real difference in recoil. Since it’s a 9mm, I don’t think recoil is much of a factor.

well there is still some dot bounce I like to minimize as much as possible 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 12:50 PM, blue72 said:

Thanks for the tips everyone!….. Much appreciated 

What factory ammo works reliably with this gun while lowering recoil?

From a factory ammo standpoint I have not found any issues with anything I have tested.  The PC Carbine seems to eat everything.  As previously stated I have run loads as low as 90pf and it still cycled.  Since I shoot Steel Challenge primarily I run loads around 100pf and this PCC still eats it.  Eley is making some PCC loads that chrono at legal PF and are match certified ammo for USPSA.  

While you can't reduce factory loads you COULD try the Tandemkross recoil spring.  It is designed for "heavier" loads and might smooth things out if you are only shooting factory ammo.  https://www.tandemkross.com/red-spring-recoil-spring-for-ruger-pc-carbine.html

7 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

From a factory ammo standpoint I have not found any issues with anything I have tested.  The PC Carbine seems to eat everything.  As previously stated I have run loads as low as 90pf and it still cycled.  Since I shoot Steel Challenge primarily I run loads around 100pf and this PCC still eats it.  Eley is making some PCC loads that chrono at legal PF and are match certified ammo for USPSA.  

While you can't reduce factory loads you COULD try the Tandemkross recoil spring.  It is designed for "heavier" loads and might smooth things out if you are only shooting factory ammo.  https://www.tandemkross.com/red-spring-recoil-spring-for-ruger-pc-carbine.html

thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 10:21 AM, SteelCityShooter said:

I installed the Volquartsen "Target Hammer" in mine and it made a very noticeable improvement in the trigger pull.  VQ no longer shows it (or any other parts for the PC Carbine) on their website but it should be available on ebay.  A low cost and very worthwhile upgrade.

Time to revisit my VQ hammer recommendation.  The last time I had the PCC to the range, I had several failures to fire and the gun doubled once!  Apparently the hammer was occasionally following the bolt down as it didn't catch on the sear adequately.  The FTFs were when the hammer fell slowly enough not to fire ne next round and the double was the time it did fall fast enough.  It seems the hammer hook on the VQ isn't quite deep enough to be reliably retained by the sear.  I've reinstalled the factory hammer.