Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm mags

Jeff O

On 4/13/2023 at 11:50 AM, herky said:

Dawson

On 4/13/2023 at 12:15 PM, 45 Raven said:

Great luck withy Tripp magazines in 9mm.

Agree with the Dawsons, as I have many of them. But I heard they were basically Tripp magazines. So if Dawson are no longer available, go with Tripps.

4 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

Agree with the Dawsons, as I have many of them. But I heard they were basically Tripp magazines. So if Dawson are no longer available, go with Tripps.

Yes, I agree.  I haven't looked in exhausting, complete detail, but I have both Dawson and Tripp magazines and can't tell the difference in them.

Metalform mags are the best.  Their bodies are in Brownell's and Dawson mags.  Only the base pads are different.  The only ones of the six brands I tried that worked 100%.  The new MecGar did not function at all in my gun.

My favorites are the extinct McCormick XP with front spacer.  No longer made after Wilson takeover.  Current CMC with 1950 rear spacer seems OK, as does the similar Wilson.

My MecGars are good.

Ten round Metalforms were a hassle but the 9 shot front ramp MFs are good.

20 hours ago, WildPete said:

Tripp mags run great, but for me, if you eject a mag with ammo in it the round will sometimes get caught. 

Right, they are very low cut in front and ejecting a partial magazine will sometimes snag a round out.  Worse, a snug Kydex magazine carrier can strip out the top round.  Which is why I use mine at the Make Ready and reload with XP or other brand.

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

Right, they are very low cut in front and ejecting a partial magazine will sometimes snag a round out.  Worse, a snug Kydex magazine carrier can strip out the top round.  Which is why I use mine at the Make Ready and reload with XP or other brand.

I had that issue with the Kydex holder during the Falling Steel World Series. Nothing like running limited 10 and seeing rounds get stuck and fling from your mag when you need them.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:09 PM, Gpghost said:

I have no issues with my Wilson Combat 500-9 in my Springfield RO Elite. 

1 hour ago, Nitro1 said:

I use Wilson combat mags in my RIA 1911. Works great. 

image0.jpeg

Mine are Gen 1 ETM's, yours' must be Gen II's.