Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is The Best 22 Conversion Kit.

shadetree

I have a 50's colt frame that has seen better days and I was thinking of turning it into a 22. I would use it for pliking and shooting steel matches. How do ciners and marvel conversions compare? Is the Marvel worth the extra moola? Is there another kit I should concider? What is the mag availability and price? Who has the better mags and are they interchangable?

Boy that was sure one big series of questions.

I won't say that the Cienier is the best but it is what I have..Can be a bit difficult to set up,no maker support,but once there they seem to run allright..If you do buy a Cienier get it from anybody but the maker,that way if there is a problem you will get some help..Mine runs well with Fed bulk pack ammo,Hi Vel of coarse..Has a old Optima slide ride and is pleanty accurate,maybe not bullseye qualitity but better than this old body can hold it..

I like it ,it has become my prime 22 over the old Hi Standard ..Gets used more than anything else..

The Marvle used to send the top with a 50yard goup shot by the unit. = under 2" or the top wonld not be sold. The magaziens are the only week point, "in my opinion" The singal stack mags are mor consitent than the hicap size for STI frames. I like the Marvel, I also lke the Rugar Mark 2 and with the new unit that has the mag button in the right place it is even beter.

The Rugar 22/45 can be had for $260 =about the same as the top unit for your 45 frame

I don't practice mag changes with my Marvel , becuse when you finaly get the mags to work you don't wont to drop them on the ground.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I already have a 22/45. I shot the crap out of it too. Very accurate easy too shoot. I bought it new a few years back for 214.00 out the door.

I learned how to shoot with that gun, put about 38,000 rounds through it the first year I had it. Boy was that fun.

What I want to do it take this tired old 45 I have and build a 22. I would probably use it as a 22 only.

What kind of mag problems did you have with your marvle?

Those who prefer the marvel have you used other conversion kits or did you just like the marvle so much that you saw no need to try any thing else?

All of your input is greatly apriciated.

I have never had any issues with my mags. I have 5 STI Marvel mags and they all work great.

I don't really practice mag changes with the Marvel, its more working on stage movement with the 22. If I set up a course and work on movement or something in particular and use the Marvel I can reload with the mags. Seem to be fine. I don't plan on doing very much of it, I can see where it might cause some problems with the topend.

Flyin40

The Marvel unit is the overwhelming preference among Bullseye shooters with RR tests reliably under an inch at 50 yds. Ceiner and Kimber (which is a re-branded Ceiner) are a distant second choice. Even though Bob Marvel is no longer associated with Marvel Precision, reports of warranty work when needed have been very positive. Apparently the Kimber 22 mags that Midway has on sale frequently, work well in the Marvel unit. About once a quarter Midway will have the Marvel on sale for around $350.

Dworak (sp?) is supposed to be the Cadillac model but he turns out a few units every 2-3 years and even that is quite inconsistent - - not something one can readily find.

Advantage Arms is too new - no reports yet.

/Bryan

Edited by Canuck-IL