Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA noob trying to go to Nationals?

-JCN-

Hello, planning matches for the year and was thinking of trying to go to Nationals. 

Unfortunately I won’t have many participation “points” this year and was wondering how likely is it that I’ll get into the match?

I have to request vacation super early in advance so wanted to get a sense of how easy or hard it would be to get into the match with only 1 participation point. 

17 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I heard last year people got in with out any points. It's likely you'll get in, but you might get stuck shooting with staff or something.

How many points do you have?   I see, one point. 

Ewwww shooting with staff!!!!

Lol jk. I worked Nationals last year. Shooting with staff can be fun 

27 minutes ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Ewwww shooting with staff!!!!

Lol jk. I worked Nationals last year. Shooting with staff can be fun 

I've shot as staff at plenty of matches that part is fine. It will mean a little more work for everyone, but not a huge deal. It also means that instead of shooting over two days you shoot it all in one day and it'll probably be in the middle of the week. Which for me would mean more time off work. 

Shooting a split schedule over two days I think is easier then shooting them all in one go. Plus if you have any interest in the awards banquet you'd have to stick around for a couple more days. If I shot staff day I'd skip awards even if I thought I might win something. 

7 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I've shot as staff at plenty of matches that part is fine. It will mean a little more work for everyone, but not a huge deal. It also means that instead of shooting over two days you shoot it all in one day and it'll probably be in the middle of the week. Which for me would mean more time off work. 

Shooting a split schedule over two days I think is easier then shooting them all in one go. Plus if you have any interest in the awards banquet you'd have to stick around for a couple more days. If I shot staff day I'd skip awards even if I thought I might win something. 

I'm not able to make it to World's this year, but usually the staff shoots over two days as well.  I think that depends on the schedule though. There is one day when the paid competitors shoot the whole thing.  Usually it's Thursday. That's a long day for everyone 

Checking PS, it does look like Staff must shoot 1st. The Thursday all day is what I was thinking of as being what the low points people will get stuck with. Staff must shoot 

And CMP makes you watch a silly video so you need to be there the day before if you shoot in the morning. That adds another day to the match essentially. 

20 hours ago, -JCN- said:

As a follow up… does anyone know if you have to have points in the same division you compete in at Nats? Or are points just points and not attached to a division… 

Just points, doesn't matter what division you shot. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I dropped my waitlist spot. I’m sure I could have probably waited and still gotten in, but decided to use the vacation time and flight credits to go shoot a Fall charity match with a buddy out of town.