Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue grip profile question

matteekay

Question about Hogue grips...

I guess I always assumed they were the same profile with features added or removed (big butt, finger grooves, etc). I recently bought a single finger groove grip and loved everything about it other than the finger groove. So, I bought a set without finger grooves, expecting a similar profile. The grips I got were significantly different:

52774106719_d37c3dd0d3_b.jpg

52773845206_c065241207_b.jpg

52773314067_d0003f2c07_b.jpg

Admittedly, I ordered both of these off Amazon, but I'm surprised at how different they are. Did Hogue change the design at some point? Does anyone know if it's possible to get grips exactly like the single finger groove ones I have pictured... but without the finger groove?

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

The one on the left appears to be a full size grip. The one on the right is a full size conversion, round butt to square butt.

Ah hah! I bet you're right. I never really understood the difference between "full size" and "full size conversion"; adding extra wood to the bottom of the latter makes a lot of sense.

Hogue makes a lot of different profile grips to fit peoples hands.  You can even order a pair made especially for you by sending in an outline of your hand. ( I don't know if they still do that).

Then there are rubber grips, Big Butts, MIculek grips etc.

3 hours ago, matteekay said:

Ah hah! I bet you're right. I never really understood the difference between "full size" and "full size conversion"; adding extra wood to the bottom of the latter makes a lot of sense.

MK:

I have both but I also looked before ordering to make sure it was what I wanted.  

The one on the left I shot for about six months and loved it except it was just a bit too short and I couldn't get my little finger around it.  So I went to the round to square conversion with the finger groove you have on the right.  Could get my little finger around it and have used it for two or three years on a couple of revolvers.  Now the finger groove is bugging me so I ordered one without the finger groove.  Am waiting for it to get here

I knew I would go through a period where I would be changing grips until I found something I liked or would last me a while.  Kind of view the whole process like having a case of hemorrhoids.  Everything is fine until it isn't.  Not a particularly enjoyable part of this sport.

GG

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

MK:

I have both but I also looked before ordering to make sure it was what I wanted.  

The one on the left I shot for about six months and loved it except it was just a bit too short and I couldn't get my little finger around it.  So I went to the round to square conversion with the finger groove you have on the right.  Could get my little finger around it and have used it for two or three years on a couple of revolvers.  Now the finger groove is bugging me so I ordered one without the finger groove.  Am waiting for it to get here

I knew I would go through a period where I would be changing grips until I found something I liked or would last me a while.  Kind of view the whole process like having a case of hemorrhoids.  Everything is fine until it isn't.  Not a particularly enjoyable part of this sport.

GG

Simplest solution a dremel is your friend.  I've dremeled all of my big butts to fit the way I like them.  Then sprayed with Rem oil and they look like new.  Going to try some furniture polish to spruce them up now. 

I even dremeled off the finger grooves of their regular rubber grips.

8 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Hogue makes a lot of different profile grips to fit peoples hands.  You can even order a pair made especially for you by sending in an outline of your hand. ( I don't know if they still do that).

Then there are rubber grips, Big Butts, MIculek grips etc.

I've actually had two sets of custom grips made. Unfortunately, it was back when I thought Big Butts were the way to go (Narrator: "They were not."). I definitely think the problem here is I didn't understand the difference between "full" and "full conversion".

5 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Kind of view the whole process like having a case of hemorrhoids.  Everything is fine until it isn't.  Not a particularly enjoyable part of this sport.

I hate how accurate that sounds, lol. I think I'm just consigning myself to cycling grips every few years until the end of time.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Simplest solution a dremel is your friend.  I've dremeled all of my big butts to fit the way I like them.  Then sprayed with Rem oil and they look like new.  Going to try some furniture polish to spruce them up now. 

I even dremeled off the finger grooves of their regular rubber grips.

For sure. My current favorite grips are actually G10 Hogues that I raised the lower finger groove on with my trusty old Dremel. I'm just hesitant to modify wood ones when I can avoid it because it's hard to get them to look nice after.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I ran across this. Was looking for grips for my old M10 square butt and probably would have gotten it wrong. Probably not going to use it for competition but just wanted some decent grips to replace the old Pachmayr Presentation’s. 😄