Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry tumble after loading?

Bakerjd

24 minutes ago, perttime said:

"

You get what on your loads???

I would presume he’s talking about a bit of brass “shavings” from the re-size; flare and crimp of the loaded cartridge 

Yes to get the case lube off, plus it makes it shiny

Even  though they FA says not to, I dry tumble using my FARTs crushed corn cob, ammo and a tiny splash of 50/50 mix  of new finish and odorless mineral spirits and run for 15-20 minutes 

I dont mind having slightly tacky ammo for 223 and pistol. At one point I did run them after but all I had was walnut and lots of it at the time so they came out extremely dull

4 hours ago, NoSteel said:

This has been discussed here before if you do a search you’ll find a bunch of info.  I dry tumble except HP’s as it seems they manage to get clogged up regardless of media.

Haha you know I probably should have. I almost always do. Oops. 

Yes little brass shavings. Or specs if you are talking to common folk like me. 

And sounds good. I do like my ammo to shine nice. It and the gun gotta look exceptionally good. Lord knows my shooting doesn't always. 

On 3/26/2023 at 4:20 PM, Bakerjd said:

Does anyone dry tumble ammo after loading it? I seem to get little specs of brass on my loads amd am wondering if this would be a quick way to clean them up?

I dry tumble with a bit of brass polish and walnut media after the resize and trim steps for rifle. That gets the lube off and makes things nice and shiny. Adding a used dryer sheet seems to also collect any shavings or burrs although I chamfer and deburr after the dry tumble anyway. 

10 hours ago, alien_pickles said:

Can you do this with coated bullets? I know wet tumbling takes that coating right off

I just started. No adverse effects. Gone through about 1000 rounds so far. Very happy with the results. 

Using brass monkey bullets. 

Just now, Bakerjd said:

I just started. No adverse effects. Gone through about 1000 rounds so far. Very happy with the results. 

Using brass monkey bullets. 

That's because they have a fantastic coating. 😍

Just now, Dirty_J said:

That's because they have a fantastic coating. 😍

I like them because they offer a 13% discount if you buy 3 cases. And that works out to right about 7c a bullet. 

On 3/27/2023 at 7:35 PM, Bakerjd said:

Haha you know I probably should have. I almost always do. Oops. 

Yes little brass shavings. Or specs if you are talking to common folk like me. 

And sounds good. I do like my ammo to shine nice. It and the gun gotta look exceptionally good. Lord knows my shooting doesn't always. 

Anybody else have problem with HP clogging ?

2 hours ago, Murzikrv said:

Anybody else have problem with HP clogging ?

Sure, but paper doesn't mind a little corn.  For 9mm or 45ACP, I can't say that it would affect bullet flight or performance over 10 to 20 yards.

I use the 2040 size from greenproducts.com.  They grind corn cobs up for all applications.  When I was loading professionally I loaded a lot of JHP and used the 2040 size.  This would not pack up in the hollowpoints and makes life grand.  The last thing you want is a piece falling out of the cavity and jamming up your gun on the line.  Been there, done that.  It sucks.

image.png