Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expanding from USPSA to multigun. Can I use the same DDA belt?

I use a DDA premium belt for my USPSA setup.  I want to give multigun a try.   I use an AR9 that uses Colt style 9mm mags (I know, I know....) and I have someone who can make me kydex mag pouches for them.  What I am trying to figure is if there are mounting options, to the way DAA mag pouches attached to their belts.  If not, the only option I know of is using teklock attachments but I dont think they fit over a premium DDA belt due to its thickness.  Looking for options / feedback.  I guess my hope is to settle on one belt and not have to swap belts between stages....  TIA!

I actually have the DAA system that is similar to the Safari Land ELS belt system.  The only issue with it is that it is made of a plastic that is not as durable as the ELS system. It allows you to switch you belt around like the ELS system.  

I have a bunch of these units if you are interested.  I would give you a great deal on them as I have moved onto the ELS system.

If you are just trying multi gun do see if its for you it is a much cheaper route to go.  If you think multi gun is something you want to stick with I would invest in the Safari Land system sooner than later.  You will be much happier.

It depends also on what "multigun" means to you. A lot of newcomers start out in 2-Gun (handgun, rifle), for which changing out ammo carriers between stages is much less of a consideration. If, instead, you plan of jumping straight to 3-Gun, then the Safariland ELS systems is (IMHO) indispensable for the reasons given above. 

6 hours ago, bababoris said:

Yeah 2 gun initially so maybe have two belts one setup for pistol and one for AR mags?

You will need to carry magazines for both handgun and rifle. Use you current belt setup and add one or two rifle mag carriers behind your handgun mag carriers; two of these would be just fine. I wouldn't spend a penny more than you have to until you find your feet in the new discipline.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Using tek-loks are perfectly fine.  They fit the DAA belt and they offer a lot of flexibility.  For multigun I put them on everything, holster, pouches, shotgun caddies.  They offer more flexibility than ELS, especially if you have limited real estate.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my double alpha belt set up with tea-loks also. I use TMMS to allow me to easily switch components location or leave them off my belt completely. I use the insert plates on my belt with the locking tabs up. I find that makes moving things around or removing them a lot easier. I did play  with different locations on my belt to determine the most versatility for me. 

the only thing I haven’t got around to doing is adding a ratchet to my belt. It would be nice to be able to keep the belt real tight when competitions and slightly loosen it between stages. 

I highly recommend adding a ratchet to a 3 gun belt, mine spontaneously detached on the clock once. thankfully I had already used my pistol so no DQ. I immediately bought a ratchet.  I use a DAA belt with tekloks and ELS clips bolted to them.  I can then just use one belt for everything and just leave the tekloks on the belt year round

• 2 weeks later...

As some have mentioned, Tek-Lok will work, and you can add the TMMS small adapters to the Tek-Lok. That's what I did for my first year or so shooting 3 gun, since I had a DAA belt from USPSA. I quickly saved up and moved to the ELS system though, it's just a better system IMHO. 

If you do go the Tek-Lok with TMMS system route, buy some velcro with the adhesive backing, that way you can put the velcro on the back side of the Tek-Lok attachments and it can give you back some of the lost velcro space its taking up. That was one of my biggest issues with the Tek-Lok/TMMS system, you lost a lot of velcro coverage between your outer and inner belts because of how the Tek-Lok attaches to the outer belt. The ELS system eliminates that issue.