Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vudoo Möbius 1911 made in halves

Tampa-XD45

I don't know anything about these frames but with all the new technology they might be ok. 
I remember this same reaction when the frames with "plastic" grips came out!

Colt experimented with this in back in 1939 and brazed the halves together but it was never adopted for production.

Electron Beam welding is a far superior method of joining the halves, I don't see any downside to this manufacturing method.

The downside is that it's still two pieces, and there are mating surfaces that aren't fused together via welding.  That makes for a significantly weaker part.  Also, there's zero issues with machining when it comes to conventional/one piece receivers.  So, despite their claims, in no way is this comparable, let alone superior.

We used EB Welding for manufacturing jet/turbine engine parts, and two metals can be completely joined together.

Not saying that this is a superior method of manufacturing 1911 frames, I just don't see a downside to it.

2 hours ago, Zachjet said:

The real question is what’s wrong with the standard way of making 1911 frames that it needs to be done differently

You don't need the giant broach for the magwell.

3 hours ago, Stage 3 said:

We used EB Welding for manufacturing jet/turbine engine parts, and two metals can be completely joined together.

Not saying that this is a superior method of manufacturing 1911 frames, I just don't see a downside to it.

It's not clear from the photos and description that they are doing full penetration welds.  I assumed not, but could be wrong.  If they are doing full penetration welds, does a 1/4" or more deep laser weld not generate enough heat to cause distortion?

14 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

It's not clear from the photos and description that they are doing full penetration welds.  I assumed not, but could be wrong.  If they are doing full penetration welds, does a 1/4" or more deep laser weld not generate enough heat to cause distortion?

Electron Beam, not Laser: https://www.ebpglobal.com/electron-beam-welding-vs-laser-welding/

"It is widely recognised that EB welding is a low-distortion process, particularly for large structures. This is because the heat input of EB welding is localised in a narrow region and no filler material is involved."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308016122001582

Vudoo makes some very nice, accurate rifles.  I'm inclined to believe with the QC they have in place that they will also make an excellent 1911.

Electron beam welding is amazing...expensive, but amazing. 

I will probably just stick with the old school, low tech 1911's I currently have though.    

9 hours ago, perttime said:

Electron Beam, not Laser: https://www.ebpglobal.com/electron-beam-welding-vs-laser-welding/

"It is widely recognised that EB welding is a low-distortion process, particularly for large structures. This is because the heat input of EB welding is localised in a narrow region and no filler material is involved."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308016122001582

Here's the first line of the abstract from the source you quoted:

"Electron beam (EB) welding can efficiently join large-scale components using one single autogenous pass, but it still faces challenges associated with weld-induced distortion and stress."

Like I said, not sure how this approach is an improvement over traditional methods.  Just because it's new or different doesn't mean it's better.

On 3/20/2023 at 3:33 PM, Zachjet said:

The real question is what’s wrong with the standard way of making 1911 frames that it needs to be done differently

Everybody in the village told my grandfather that tractors will never replace horses at farm work.

17 minutes ago, perttime said:

Everybody in the village told my grandfather that tractors will never replace horses at farm work.

See 2 below:

red herring

noun

: a herring cured by salting and slow smoking to a dark brown color

[from the practice of drawing a red herring across a trail to confuse hunting dogs]  : something that distracts attention from the real issue

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

See 2 below:

red herring

noun

: a herring cured by salting and slow smoking to a dark brown color

[from the practice of drawing a red herring across a trail to confuse hunting dogs]  : something that distracts attention from the real issue

😂👍👍

On 3/20/2023 at 7:33 AM, Zachjet said:

you mean why was the 2011 invented? you're right, it was a step backwards.... we should still be living in the last century. Life was great then!

and before anyone posts a distracting red herring definition to distract from the actual issue, let's keep in mind that the luddite naysayers don't appear to actually know anything about the gun, and almost nothing about the technology. I don't either, so I'll wait and see instead of shooting off my mouth like mr know-it-all.

Edited by motosapiens

10 hours ago, motosapiens said:

you mean why was the 2011 invented? you're right, it was a step backwards.... we should still be living in the last century. Life was great then!

and before anyone posts a distracting red herring definition to distract from the actual issue, let's keep in mind that the luddite naysayers don't appear to actually know anything about the gun, and almost nothing about the technology. I don't either, so I'll wait and see instead of shooting off my mouth like mr know-it-all.

I don’t believe we’re talking about the 2011. The frame mentioned above this for a 1911.

What I meant was: the way things have been done before isn't necessarily superior just because it is the way things have been done before.

These pistols ain't exactly cheap, so I doubt we'll soon hear many reports about 50,000 rounds being fired through one with no issues. Sadly, I'm not in position to buy one of these now, and 50,000 rounds of .45 ACP.