Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Complete Rig for Limited Optics

HOGRIDER

Since my recent experiences have been with kydex holsters for Production/Carry Optics, not familiar with recommended rigs for upcoming Limited Optics.

Looking for recommendations that offer great retention along with ease of setup/adjustability.

The last couple of USPSA Equipment Surveys has shown the DAA brands as #1!  Are they the best bang for the buck?  Noticed BSPS has a good price on this complete rig:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-alpha-x-holster-with-alpha-xi-mag-pouches-complete-rig/

Thanks for your imput!

👍

I have fleshed out the open holster idea a while back and for what reason I cannot remember but I would buy the Everglades MRH holster. There is a rather extensive thread about it on the forum. I would read that thread before buying anything. Seemed like there was a lot of useful information in regards to a lot of different open style holsters. If you buy it be sure to buy the thigh pad. It’s not a cheap holster but it may be worth it in the long run. 

https://www.evergladesammo.com/accessories/holsters/everglades-magnetic-race-holster.html

I have been dry firing rather extensively as of late and I can get my dry fire draw down to under 0.8 out of normal kydex.  Since I play in other games and intend to keep CO as an option to shoot I am not sure I want to move to an open style holster as of yet. Maybe something to keep in consideration if one shoots other divisions with holster restrictions. If I were it would be the Everglades MRH. Buy once cry once kind of thing.  

As for magazine holders everything I use for USPSA is the DAA Race pouch which is the earlier Gen of the DAA Xi pouch. I love those because they can be adapted to any mag out fo the box with a decent amount of adjustability.  If buying for an open rig only I would give Hennings new magnetic mag holders some consideration. 

I have recently switched my hangers to Hennings T-1000. They are amazing so if you were to stick with Kydex maybe also a possibility to upgrade for adjustability purposes. 

Good luck in your search. 

Edited by Boomstick303

If you're used to kydex, why switch to a open rig? Unless you're running a big thumb rest. 

I've played with both, I shot open for 2 years using a race holster, I used one some in Revo and some in limited. Eventually I decided they really weren't worth it to me. Now I just run kydex for everything. I've done .7x's from kydex. In fact I've done sub second from aiwb concealed. 

I've had 3 guns fall from race holsters because the lock didn't engage properly. Once in dryfire when the wife asked me to do something. Once into a mud hole at the range practicing and once at a major into some nice sand. This was with 3 different holsters. 

7 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have fleshed out the open holster idea a while back and for what reason I cannot remember but I would buy the Everglades MRH holster. There is a rather extensive thread about it on the forum. I would read that thread before buying anything. Seemed like there was a lot of useful information in regards to a lot of different open style holsters. If you buy it be sure to buy the thigh pad. It’s not a cheap holster but it may be worth it in the long run. 

https://www.evergladesammo.com/accessories/holsters/everglades-magnetic-race-holster.html

I have been dry firing rather extensively as of late and I can get my dry fire draw down to under 0.8 out of normal kydex.  Since I play in other games and intend to keep CO as an option to shoot I am not sure I want to move to an open style holster as of yet. Maybe something to keep in consideration if one shoots other divisions with holster restrictions. If I were it would be the Everglades MRH. Buy once cry once kind of thing.  

As for magazine holders everything I use for USPSA is the DAA Race pouch which is the earlier Gen of the DAA Xi pouch. I love those because they can be adapted to any mag out fo the box with a decent amount of adjustability.  If buying for an open rig only I would give Hennings new magnetic mag holders some consideration. 

I have recently switched my hangers to Hennings T-1000. They are amazing so if you were to stick with Kydex maybe also a possibility to upgrade for adjustability purposes. 

Good luck in your search. 

@Boomstick303 I have read several of the posts that pop up when doing a search for the MRH, and indeed there are several experienced, respected competitors here that have switched and love it!  Of course it's not perfect for everyone; but sure looks like an excellent option.  Seems for now that EA is the only place showing stock; and with the optional thigh pad and screw upgrade, does come in at a considerable cost.

Yea, if I was staying with kydex, I would definitely be jumping on the Henning T-1000!  Beautiful looking rig that's getting great reviews!

Still got till around the end of April; so no immediate rush........just finished watching a couple of DAA videos on the newest model Flex holster; and it definitely looks improved and updated.

THANKS for your feedback!

6 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

If you're used to kydex, why switch to a open rig? Unless you're running a big thumb rest. 

I've played with both, I shot open for 2 years using a race holster, I used one some in Revo and some in limited. Eventually I decided they really weren't worth it to me. Now I just run kydex for everything. I've done .7x's from kydex. In fact I've done sub second from aiwb concealed. 

I've had 3 guns fall from race holsters because the lock didn't engage properly. Once in dryfire when the wife asked me to do something. Once into a mud hole at the range practicing and once at a major into some nice sand. This was with 3 different holsters. 

Don't know if it's considered a "big" thumb rest, but will be using the Nitro Fin 2.0 on my build.

Fully understand and appreciate your feedback on kydex vs open.  I do plan on keeping my current CO rig ready to use at any time; but decided to get another separate rig for the LO pistol.  And at this point, if LO never becomes a true division, I would shoot it in Open Minor!  And then probably move up to an Open pistol!  That's just how much I enjoy the 1911/2011 platform and hope to stay active in that platform along with the MAX in CO.  But IMO, after talking with a couple of industry professionals, I think LO is going to thrive!  ;)

As I mentioned above, the latest DAA Flex looks like a fully customizable option with what appears better rigidity during retention.

Thanks for your feedback!

👍

On 3/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, Racinready300ex said:

I concur,,, when I actually practiced  I could hit 7 yard Azones in .9 from a Bladetech DOH..  Whats super dooper pro open guy doing from a gee wiz space rig in a match ?  .6 ? .7 ?
Figured I would try one when I started loosing stages by .2 of a second.
Not worth the hassle, insecurity, or lack of protection otherwise IMO..

Isaac Lockwood did a 1.23 bill drill clean with his CO P320 out of a kydex holster at Nationals during a side match. Buzzer to first shot was .61. All A’s with one being in the head box. 24.39 HF for those wondering.