Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vincent Re

XRe

I received a call late this past evening from my dad, telling me that my grandfather passed away expectedly Friday morning. He was 80 years old.

It's hard for me to say what his passing really means to me, because I haven't really had time to process it, yet. Let me tell you a couple of things about him... He was a turret gunner on a B-24 over Germany in WW-II. During training, they taught the gunners how to shoot by loading them in the back of a pickup, armed w/ a 12-gauge fixed up with .50 cal machine gun sights. They drove them past traps that would shoot out clay pigeons, which they'd have to shoot. After the war, he decided to take up shooting, and found trap to be his favorite game. He became rather accomplished in the Cincinnati area for some amount of time.

He'd used his GI Bill money to get trained to repair business machines - and used that training to start and run his own business machine repair service, which eventually grew into a nice little company. Computers, of course, put an end to it, but not until after he'd managed to make and invest a tidy sum - Grandpa was very shrewd when it came to money.

Not being one to sit around stagnant, he also took up photography, and it eventually became his passion. The shooting fell by the wayside as his eyesight diminshed (though, just several months back, he got his CCW in Ohio...), but the cameras... wow. To say he dove in head first is an understatement - I'd go into it, but it'd be boring to all but a few on this forum. I had the pleasure of helping him delve into Photoshop and such when he finally took the plunge and went digital. It was really nice to be able to give something back to him that way.

What can I really say, then, but... he was my inspiration to shoot. He was my inspiration to take pictures. These are two very important things in my life. When I was in a bind, and needed to buy a new drum set, he helped me out. Music is another very important thing in my life. He and Grandma passed on diamonds that he'd given her to be the components of my wife's wedding set. He's been involved, in one way or another, in everything that's important to me.

It seems funny, and a shame, that I wasn't closer to him than I feel like I was - especially as much as his life touched mine. I guess it's normal to have some regrets that one wasn't, especially when time finally runs out. I love my grandfather, and I will miss him greatly.

In July, 2004, I had the distinct pleasure of spending the day with him, a good friend of his, Tom Griffin, and my dad, at the Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH. Tom was a WW-II aviator, as well, having served amongst other things as the navigator on plane #9 as one of Doolittle's Raiders (and that, I can tell you, is a fascinating and hair raising story!). Here are a couple of pictures from that day. The first is my dad, my grandfather, and I in front of the B-24 in the museum. The second is my grandfather, and Tom, in front of Tom's jacket that he donated to the museum. I'd give just about anything to go back there and spend another day with those guys, and be regaled with the tall (and not so tall, really) tales from the war...

post-4828-1134808974_thumb.jpgpost-4828-1134808985_thumb.jpg

Whenever I cross paths with a member of the military (former or present) I always thank them for their service to our nation. Since it is not possible to tell Vincent, I want you and your family to know that I am grateful for what your grandfather did for us.

I am truly sorry for your loss. The cool thing is that you will always have your Grandfather with you though since you have so many good memories and how he helped shape your life and make you who you are. Many dont have that. Peace to your family this season. DougC

So sorry to hear this, Dave. I know it's got to be tough. Your story and pictures got me teared up thinking about my grandfather. It's been 10 years now since he passed away and I still miss him very much.

If there is anything I can do, give me a call.

I'm very sorry for your loss Dave, but also glad for the things you take with you.

From the little we've read here it looks like your Grandfather certainly lived a full, rich life. He touched many along the way; not the least of which was you. He lives on in your love and the fine memories you have of a great man.

A grateful nation salutes him.

Thank you, everyone. With a few more details this morning, it sounds like it was something catastrophic that took him - likely an aneurysm. He always said that quick and painless was the way he wanted to go when it was his time - I'm glad for him that he got his wish (and can only hope that I'm so lucky). If I can live to be 80, be as successful as he was, stay as active as he was, still have my wits about me, and still be as relatively healthy as he was... I'll really have a blessed life!

I'm headed out for Cincinnati this afternoon, trying to beat out the incoming snow. Looks like we're going to end up in Cincy for Christmas, instead of heading to Phoenix - we'll make it back through there sometime next year.

Hopefully, I'll be able to be on the forum occasionally while I'm gone - if not, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays. I'll be back before the end of the year, either way...

Edited by XRe

Thanks so much for sharing this Dave. I hope the pain you feel is eased by the celebration of a wonderful life lived.

Your grandfather was a great American and in it's simplest most complex form he was America.

In the small Indiana town I grew up in one of my neighbors was a P-51 pilot during WWII. He was a tremedous outdoorsman, state legislator and cool old guy. He died not long after attending my wedding in '93.

Theres a reason they call these people ' The Greatest Generation'.

James.

Thanks, everyone. Y'all are the best!

My father was a B-24 navigator in WW2 and flew missions over Germany, perhaps they knew each other.

What a small world, Bob! What was your dad's name? Do you know any of the particulars, like what unit he was in, where he was based, etc? I'm sitting in my grandfather's office, and he accumulated a wealth of material on the B-24s used in the European theater - I could do some digging and find out :)

You have my best thoughts and wishes Dave. And those are great pics - thanks for sharing them.

I grew up near Wright Pat... my dad retired from there (as a civilian), after initially joining the Navy when he was 16 (lied about his age).

be