Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TV shows and movies where they clearly have no idea about guns

Almo

Some examples:

1) "Do you have a permit for that gun?" No, this locale doesn't require one.

2) "We're going to match the bullet to your gun."  No, you're only going to match it to the model of gun with the same type barrel unless my gun has a nick in the barrel that's marking the bullet.

3) "Put the safety on."  No, this is a revolver and doesn't have a safety.

4) "That's a Smith and Wesson and you've had your six."  No, it's a Colt 1911 and I have eight; bang, bang.

By the way, those last two are from James Bond movies where you'd think they knew better.

Good one, rennD.  I thought of another one from Monk: "It was a scope for a Weatherby Mark V."  No, it was a scope for any rifle.

And a common one that really bugs me: "I have a hostage; drop your guns and slide them over to me."  And they do it.  I don't know of a single police officer who would willingly give his gun to a criminal. 

1 hour ago, rennD said:

From Law and Order, not a direct quote but, "The casing comes from a Glock 9MM..."

umm thats actuall pretty accurate.. 9mm would be pretty simple it is stamped on the rim,,, and for a long time Glock brass was pretty easy to identify and pick out from other guns. It had a square firing pin.

I cringe when they cock the hammer on Smith revolver. Do you know what double action means? 

Also remember an early Grisham novel when the good guy “cocked the hammer on his Glock… “

I also like when they're holding a gun on someone, threatening them for a long time; then they rack the slide actually putting a round in the chamber to show that they're serious.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not just the "cop" shows. 

I hate when the guys on the "shooting" shows show them firing in slo mo and every time the gun fires, they blink! Pretty hard to call shots that way. Pretty sad for "professional" shooters.

But then, I always enjoyed the gun handling on the A Team!🤮

20 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

It's not just the "cop" shows. 

I hate when the guys on the "shooting" shows show them firing in slo mo and every time the gun fires, they blink! Pretty hard to call shots that way. Pretty sad for "professional" shooters.

But then, I always enjoyed the gun handling on the A Team!🤮

A team was pretty accurate. Fire a gazzillion rounds. Hit nothing.... Pretty normal for a mini 14

some movie mel shoots a smiley face in a target. 

His eyes were shut before the flash. every time.

the movie/entertainment people are getting better...

the actors in "the blacklist" have fairly good

finger off trigger pistol handling.

the blinking... aah they are better than mel anyway.Vid I saw of a fellow

known for being in our type of competition.

eyes open while shootin fast.  He looked pretty maniacal....

so maybe blinking looks less threatening?

and I did not find the vid on utube

miranda

19 hours ago, Miranda said:

some movie mel shoots a smiley face in a target. 

His eyes were shut before the flash. every time.

And, the guy that can shoot a smiley face at 25 yards can't hit the perp at 10 yards with 20 shots!