Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun shell carriers two good, one bad hodge podge mix..

AngelDeVille

I have been practicing loading the various shotguns I have, with the carriers I have.. a taccom 20 round chest rig, a gunner EZ8 and an APcustom 4x4.

I bought them some time ago to experiment, having only used canvas usgi pouches in the past.

I'm able to quad load quite easily with the EZ8 loader, and I like the design of the ap custom although it does not allow quad loading.

The taccom... in an ideal environment I can quad load, but just barely, it retains the shells too tightly while simultaneously giving the feeling they will fall out and/or misalign if I break wind, really dislike this rig immensely. 

I understand AP custom disappeared a few years ago leaving some po'd customers with depleted funds, but due to belt space I would be happy with the ability to add 3 of these to my 3 gun belt. (currently have one)

The EZ8 takes up more belt real-estate but I could squeeze 3 on my belt. (again currently have one)

so due to availability, I will be getting a couple more of the gunner ez8's and be on the lookout for some apcustoms 4x4's in the used market.

Another I wanted to try was a safariland 12 round but they don't seem to list them on the safariland website anymore.

all pictures stolen from the interwebz....

20s4-1.jpg

AP_IND_4X4.jpg

ez8.jpg

13 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

How are you able to quad load using the AP and EZ8? They're certainly not designed for it.

just the ez8, it's actually quite EZ, just reach 2 down and grab 4 at a time, the thin divider between the stack has no effect

Here are the EZ8 and AP 4X4 on my rig for comparison. 

I could fit 3 AP in the space of two EZ8’s. 

I am still and always will interject a modem of practicality in my rig over the competition speed aspect. 

45C26010-7CFE-46FC-AD76-80B0F247FEBC.jpeg

Edited by AngelDeVille

I found a source for AP 4x4 knock offs from El China, I'll report when I get them (x2)

I'll order a couple gunner Ez8's today or tomorrow.

I figure that should cover me for all my whiz-band shotgun loading needs....

Ordered the MOA stock adapter so I can add my SGA magpul stock to my m3k

I still prefer my 4+1 1971 Ithaca 37...

• 2 weeks later...

I got the extras I had on order in.

I am still going to order a couple more of the EZ8 shell carriers, and see what works best for me, vs. the 4x4’s

Depending on loadout I could fit 3 ez8 shotshell holders =24 shells

I could fit 4 of the 4x4’s in the same space or less

I didn’t need a second ar mag pouch, but I was placing an order with blade tech anyway so I thought I’d try theirs out.. so far I really like it.  It will replace the taco pouch.

I got another belt… just as nice as my others (ghost,shootersconn,black scorpion)

3 single stack pouches = 30 or 24 extra rounds

2 dubble stack pouches = 42 rounds

and my holster can be switched to my dubble stack pistola easily.

F5-C2-B655-FA1-A-494-F-8-C82-76-BC230-D1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Replace the pistol mag pouches with a quad pouch. It adds more room for other stuff.

That’s my more than I’ll need 3 gun set up, I could also go vertical with the pistol pouches and fit them in tighter. And I have double stacks so I could get by with less pistol mags. 

the last piece of the puzzle was the shotgun shell holders, the ez8’s are super easy to use.

i do still like the 4x4 holders, and may use them from time to time, and I have them on my tacticool zombies/shtf plate carrier…

I had alice gear with one of those 1918 canvas shell holders, and extra shells rolling around in my med kit (along with loose .38’s) and pockets back when it counted, so I really appreciate the gamesmanship options available today.

it’s nice to do this for fun

Edited by AngelDeVille

• 1 month later...