Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Infinity 2011 5in vs 5.4 help needed

EVANB

Hi everyone, I have an order and need to make a decision quickly for an SVI Infinity 2011 9mm with a ported barrel length 5 or 5.4 inches with a  sight tracker barrel, no sights, just SRO optic. Which gun will shoot will have less recoil, shoots softer, flatter and easier to shoot overall. This will be a range toy shooting factory ammo 115gr. I spoke with infinity and couldn't get a clear answer thats why I'm asking the people that got to shoot both guns please. 

Thanks. 

Edited by EVANB

I’m fond of the 5.4”. Extra sight radius (on my limited gun) and velocity over a 5”. Shoots much softer than the 5” infinity I compared it to. Transitions a little slower.

Brandon recommended I went with the 5.4” for my SRO gun. It’s what I'm used to, and the extra velocity will be nice. 

Edited by TheSandMan491

2 hours ago, TheSandMan491 said:

I’m fond of the 5.4”. Extra sight radius (on my limited gun) and velocity over a 5”. Shoots much softer than the 5” infinity I compared it to. Transitions a little slower.

Brandon recommended I went with the 5.4” for my SRO gun. It’s what I'm used to, and the extra velocity will be nice. 

what barrel did both gun both that ones you got to shoot ? did they have a sight tracker barrel ? 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

5.4" sight tracker is the way to go if buying an Infinity in 40 major.  For nine, they built me a duty gun that was a 4.5" sight tracker.  It's their IMM without the comp and optic.

so for 9mm 5" is a better choice than the 5.4 when it comes to recoil, easier to shoot ?  this will be a  range toy so I won't be competing with it. 

3 hours ago, EVANB said:

what barrel did both gun both that ones you got to shoot ? did they have a sight tracker barrel ? 

Thanks.

My limited gun is a sight tracker, SRO gun is a bushing. 

when I compared the 5.4” to 5” 40s, both were sight tracker barrels. 

Edited by TheSandMan491

2 hours ago, EVANB said:

so for 9mm 5" is a better choice than the 5.4 when it comes to recoil, easier to shoot ?  this will be a  range toy so I won't be competing with it. 

You don't need all that weight to help manage recoil with 9mm.  They used to sell a lot of 6" 9mm guns to folks in Spain for some reason.  Those were super sluggish slides.  4.5" is all you need for 9mm and it will cycle faster.

20 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

You don't need all that weight to help manage recoil with 9mm.  They used to sell a lot of 6" 9mm guns to folks in Spain for some reason.  Those were super sluggish slides.  4.5" is all you need for 9mm and it will cycle faster.

I know, but for me I found the 9mm to be snappy and the felt recoil not much worse than other calibers I've shot, that's why I want to get the best option possible for my setup. It's ok if the 5.4 would be slower than the 5 or 4.5 if it has much less felt recoil. 

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

I would work on the grip, there is no way a 9mm feels the same as a 40cal. I shot 5.4 ST in 40. 

You are right, the 9mm don’t recoil like 40, but some say that 9mm high pressured round don’t have a recoil is not a true at all.

4 hours ago, EVANB said:

You are right, the 9mm don’t recoil like 40, but some say that 9mm high pressured round don’t have a recoil is not a true at all.

What's your intented purpose with the gun? 

5 hours ago, Furrly said:

What's your intented purpose with the gun? 

range toy, the wife, the kids and some friend will shoot it too, that's why I wanted to make sure I get the softest, easiest gun to shoot between the 5 and 5.4. 

Thanks again.

5 hours ago, EVANB said:

range toy, the wife, the kids and some friend will shoot it too, that's why I wanted to make sure I get the softest, easiest gun to shoot between the 5 and 5.4. 

Thanks again.

15 hours ago, Furrly said:

Yes, I'm leaning towards 5.4 

I hope having ported barrel won't be a big issue shooting the guns indoors, I've heard it's loud to shoot it indoors, I hope it won't be that bad.  

Edited by EVANB

On 2/20/2023 at 1:05 AM, EVANB said:

Thanks again.

I would avoid the ported barrel if the wife and kids will be shooting it.  A 5 or 5.4" 9mm 2011 will both be soft and will be more user-friendly for them than the louder ported gun will be, especially if shooting indoors.  A 5.4" 2011 with some 147s will shoot like a BB gun.  

From a woman's perspective, I don't think I'd have a preference for 5 or 5.4 shooting it as a range gun. For gun games, definitely 5" because I like handling a shorter gun. Here's a thought--this is what I do--I buy Fenix Ammo and PNR Ammo's reduced power/steel challenge 9mm load and that's what the kids and my girlfriends shoot when we go to range. The loads are about 110pf so they're nice and soft. You can shoot that out of a Glock 19 and it still feels soft.

50 minutes ago, jt1207 said:

From a woman's perspective, I don't think I'd have a preference for 5 or 5.4 shooting it as a range gun. For gun games, definitely 5" because I like handling a shorter gun. Here's a thought--this is what I do--I buy Fenix Ammo and PNR Ammo's reduced power/steel challenge 9mm load and that's what the kids and my girlfriends shoot when we go to range. The loads are about 110pf so they're nice and soft. You can shoot that out of a Glock 19 and it still feels soft.

Thanks for the input! Will the ammo cycle and lock back on last round  fine in a 2011, 1911 or CZ 5 inch guns ? 

I would be surprised if the slide would lock back on an SVI with any ammo, factory standard they do not have that feature ;)

It is possible but my experience is that it sometimes you are left with 1 in the mag when it locks back.

110PF ammo should not be an issue, especially not with the default mainspring. I run a 19lbs mainspring and 110-115 ammo works fine. (With a 90 grain bullet though)

4 hours ago, EVANB said:

Thanks for the input! Will the ammo cycle and lock back on last round  fine in a 2011, 1911 or CZ 5 inch guns ? 

Interestingly, the ammo functioned great in everything but the G45 when it was brand new. I figured I’d have to change to lighter recoil spring but the gun cycled it great after it had 500 or so rounds through gun. Maybe a little break-in period? 

Additionally, I’ve never shot the steel challenge/110pf load through 2011 or 1911. The CZ is a P10F so that’s the extent to which I can give input. I would hedge and buy a reduced power recoil spring to swap in should you have issue in 2011/1911.