Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA now has a Match Ammo Service whcih will deliver ammo directly to participating major matches.

Relevant info:

- Vendor is Precision Delta. Their complete product line is visible at www.precisiondeltasales.com and the USPSA Match Ammo Products may be seen at www.uspsa.org/ammo

- Orders wil be accepted starting 1/1/06. The Florida Open, Nationals, most or all Area Championships, and other major matches will be participating.

- We do not have 38 Super in the program at this time.

- Precision Delta has developed "40 Major" and "40 Major Long (1.18)" loads specifically for USPSA. Michael Voigt, Greg "Chronoman" Lent and myself have tested these loads with great results. Precision Delta is now tooling up to manufacture these loads and will have them ready in January.

- Precison Delta has done everything they said they would, when they said and met every promise of sample loads through the qualification process. When a company in Mississippi tells you they are "having a little rain" during Katrina and *STILL* meets their deadling, it gives the impression nothing can stop them.

- 3 gun needs will be met with Wichester rifle and shotgun products.

- In addition to the normal "case lot" sales, Precision Delta has added "250 round evaluation packs" to their product line for competitors who want to try out a match load without buying a full case.

- Sales of ammo for match delivery are done via www.uspsa.org, and each match receives a single shipment of ammo with a delivery manifest listing what each individual ordered. Yo will be able to see the UPS or motor freight tracking number on-line so you will know you ammo has arrived before you even leave for the match.

- Competitors purchasing ammo for delivery to themselves, rather than directly to a match, should deal directly with Precision Delta.

- All loads use the same Precision Delta bullets which are available for direct purchase for your own reloading.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

USPSA now has a Match Ammo Service whcih will deliver ammo directly to participating major matches.

Relevant info:

- Vendor is Precision Delta. Their complete product line is visible at www.precisiondeltasales.com and the USPSA Match Ammo Products may be seen at www.uspsa.org/ammo

- Orders wil be accepted starting 1/1/06. The Florida Open, Nationals, most or all Area Championships, and other major matches will be participating.

- Precision Delta has developed "40 Major" and "40 Major Long (1.18)" loads specifically for USPSA. Michael Voigt, Greg "Chronoman" Lent and myself have tested these loads with great results. Precision Delta is now tooling up to manufacture these loads and will have them ready in January.

- Precison Delta has done everything they said they would, when they said and met every promise of sample loads through the qualification process. When a company in Mississippi tells you they are "having a little rain" during Katrina and *STILL* meets their deadling, it gives the impression nothing can stop them.

- In addition to the normal "case lot" sales, Precision Delta has added "250 round evaluation packs" to their product line for competitors who want to try out a match load without buying a full case.

- Sales of ammo for match delivery are done via www.uspsa.org, and each match receives a single shipment of ammo with a delivery manifest listing what each individual ordered. Yo will be able to see the UPS or motor freight tracking number on-line so you will know you ammo has arrived before you even leave for the match.

- Competitors purchasing ammo for delivery to themselves, rather than directly to a match, should deal directly with Precision Delta.

- All loads use the same Precision Delta bullets which are available for direct purchase for your own reloading.

Rob gave me 2 boxes of this ammo to try. I thought it was great. Ammo was very accurate out of my SV (as accurate as my handload, 180gr. Zero HP w/4.7 gr. TG, 1.190OAL). POA/POI was the same as my load. It felt nice and I had no failures of any kind. The only downside (if you can call it that) was that the load was not as clean as my TG load. It is definetly an option to consider. I did not chrono the ammo, but as I understand it, shooters that buy this ammo at a match will get a pass on the chrono station.

Hope this hepls,

Nick-

Wow...this is going to make travel a LOT easier. Good step!

I did not chrono the ammo, but as I understand it, shooters that buy this ammo at a match will get a pass on the chrono station.

Really? And HOW will they guarantee that the competitor is really using the ammo they ordered and not something else? Unless they are going to use brass with a unique head stamp or other marking on it for match only ammo that changes every year the door is wide open for cheating.

Relevant info:

+ 1 Good company, Good value...

And HOW will they guarantee that the competitor is really using the ammo they ordered and not something else? Unless they are going to use brass with a unique head stamp or other marking on it for match only ammo that changes every year the door is wide open for cheating.

How do they currently guarantee that the ammo we put in the little plastic bag on the first stage is the same ammo we shoot throughout the match?

I think our sport (at least at this point) relies heavily on the honor system when it comes to ammo and power factor.

Wow...this is going to make travel a LOT easier. Good step!
I did not chrono the ammo, but as I understand it, shooters that buy this ammo at a match will get a pass on the chrono station.

Really? And HOW will they guarantee that the competitor is really using the ammo they ordered and not something else? Unless they are going to use brass with a unique head stamp or other marking on it for match only ammo that changes every year the door is wide open for cheating.

There are proposals under consideration, however, there is not yet any rule or procedure in place to handle power factors for match ammo differently from any other ammo.

If any new rule is passed, a notice will be placed on the ammo program page www.uspsa.org/ammo.

That being said, I would feel very comfortable using the 40 S&W and expecting it to chrono major. The loads I gave Nick were increased by .2 grains in final qualification to provide a reasonable margin. We targeted the ammo to make major with a bit to spare on a "straight average" basis. The chronograph procedure at matches (effectively a "best 3 or 8") provides the competitor with an additional safety margin.

• 4 weeks later...

The USPSA board had a telephone conference call meeting last evening, and the minutes are posted in the members area of the web site.

Three orders of business were addressed:

Official approval granted to various routine NROI forms.

Point series changes for 2006 details in minutes - now $25 and does not include the nationals)

"Official Match Ammo" accepted at the certified power factor, with some provisions to prevent this from becoming a mechanism for cheating. The details are posted on the RULES section of the USPSA web site - www.uspsa.org/rules

Edited by Rob Boudrie

Is there a provision to deter the people that think it might be fun to shoot the 'official' .40 ammo in something with a barrel backbored to within an inch of the chamber?

As long as it makes a PF close to what the delivery batch made in the same gun, it's good, right? No matter what that PF actually is?

Is there a provision to deter the people that think it might be fun to shoot the 'official' .40 ammo in something with a barrel backbored to within an inch of the chamber?

As long as it makes a PF close to what the delivery batch made in the same gun, it's good, right? No matter what that PF actually is?

There is no such provision. After discussions with Michael Voigt, we did not expect this to be an issue. If the board finds that the intent of the ammo program is being "gamed" we can adjust the rules (with proper notice, of course). I am hoping to be able to get chrono records of the "verification shooting" of official ammo from some major matches to see how it is actually measuring under field conditions.

Congratulations on being the first to order. I checked the system and your order went in exactly as it should. Precision Delta will ship to FL on about 2/1. at which point you will be able to see the package tracking number on ammo ordering web page.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the first batch is on the truck and on schedule (and Precision Delta was in contact with USPSA to make sure they had it there in time - we didn't even have to remind them!!!).

Orders for the Florida Open were modest (totalling 78 boxes), but those of you who did order can go to www.uspsa.org/ammo and click on "participating matches" to see the UPS tracking number.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

Please remember that this is a sevice that is provided to our members that need it for one reason or another. Services are never cheap, but I think that it is incredible that they have this set up. I have to fly to the Steel Challenge every year, and send ammo out and pack enough for the match in my suitcase too. Guess whose ammo didnt show up from the brown truck last year and just had enough packed in my suitcase. :(

Nobody is gonna get rich from this program, but for the people that need it they will pay the prices so they have one less thing to worry about getting to the match. Thanks Rob!

DougC

New pistol ammo is comparable to Wally World Winchester Value packs. Sure, it can be reloaded for less, but having it waiting at the match is cool. So far it is a great service venture. Barring the potential FUBAR it is nice to be able to test this in country first, then over seas if available.

Expect a report after the Florida Open.

Alway nice to know the hotel isn't going to ship it back because you're not there yet. Normally seems to happen to at least one buddy a year. Then begins the scramble. It's also nice for people like me who have to drive 90 minutes to ship ammo from the nearest UPS Center. A couple extra bucks is worth skipping the hassle.

pretty pricey stuff, at leastr for rifle and shotgun. $8.50 for a box of AA's, and $6.60 for a box of 20 rounds of USA ammo is nuts. much cheaper to ship yer own to the hotel, i would think.

All in all, I think USPSA did pretty well with the deal:

- Handgun ammo at affordable prices

- "Long Load 40 S&W", "Standard length S&W at major", and "9mm tested to make minor".. Try finding that at Wally World.

- Pricing that does not require any quantity committment on the part of the buyer, does not require ordering in case lots, and does not make the buyer wait to see if Precision Delta will get enough orders to make a match "worthwhile". If the entire order for a match consists of a single box of ammo, it will still be shipped.

- On-line order status and package tracking.

- Shotgun and rifle ammo is a bit pricey, but is available. Remember, we're not talking about drop shipping case lots here :). Also, shotgun ammo (other than slugs) is the one kind of ammo your are most likely to be able find locally (unless, of course, you are coming to a match in MA where you need a license to even think about guns).

The prices charged need to include shipping, administrative overhead, the aggravation of odd lot sizes, and the extra hassle of providing the package tracking info and adhering to an absolutely rigid and inflexible delivery schedule.

I don't expect the shot shells to be a big seller - they were included in the product offering so we could have a "complete solution" for three gunners, but were really a secondary consideration.

When you look at the total terms, I doubt that USPSA could have done better on the total price picture than the Precision Delta deal.

Edited by Rob Boudrie