Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

True cost of a VR80

Iggy42

So it looks like I will be moving into Open soon, at least pistol wise so odds are I will be just filling my tube of my A5 and going for the time being

That said to have a VR80 running properly to be competitive what would I be looking at past the $600 sticker price?

I'm really attracted to the Gen12, but I am not sure if I can swing that in one go or not.  Trying to figure out my options/cost so I can find a path forward

My opinion is if you want the gen12 then run what you got till you have the funds for it because by the time you get the vr80 plus all the parts to make it run better you will have paid for something better . I'm not knocking vr80 I have one that runs great but iv also dumped a bunch of money into it and still ended up with a dissident 

10 hours ago, Iggy42 said:

So it looks like I will be moving into Open soon, at least pistol wise so odds are I will be just filling my tube of my A5 and going for the time being

That said to have a VR80 running properly to be competitive what would I be looking at past the $600 sticker price?

I'm really attracted to the Gen12, but I am not sure if I can swing that in one go or not.  Trying to figure out my options/cost so I can find a path forward

Does your pistol fit in modified division? That's the new USPSA 3 gun division that allows a DOT on a pistol but it's got to be a slide Rider. Then you use a tube fed shotgun that can also have a DOT. 

If your pistol is a full-on open gun then it will be a no-go in modified. I'm no help on the shotguns just didn't know if you had heard of modified division yet

7 hours ago, chase214 said:

My opinion is if you want the gen12 then run what you got till you have the funds for it because by the time you get the vr80 plus all the parts to make it run better you will have paid for something better . I'm not knocking vr80 I have one that runs great but iv also dumped a bunch of money into it and still ended up with a dissident 

So I take it that to you by the time you get a VR80 running like a scalded rat you are into Dissident money

7 hours ago, RJH said:

Does your pistol fit in modified division? That's the new USPSA 3 gun division that allows a DOT on a pistol but it's got to be a slide Rider. Then you use a tube fed shotgun that can also have a DOT. 

If your pistol is a full-on open gun then it will be a no-go in modified. I'm no help on the shotguns just didn't know if you had heard of modified division yet

It will be a full-on open gun - one of the MPA Open guns that they are doing.  Seem to be the best option for the money/time waiting to received and my budget

Here's my parts list:

Buffer Tube Adapter       $35.00
Buffer Tube                     $40.00
ARFX Buttstock               $90.00
Taccom Buffer                 $75.00
Tooth&Nail Trigger         $150.00
Taccom Muzzle Brake     $80.00
RIA Magwell                     $40.00
RIA Magazines               $240.00
RIA Base Pads                $160.00
Taccom Bolt Handle       $40.00
Taccom Safety                $45.00
Taccom Handguard Ret $35.00
RIA Heat Wrap                 $30.00
510C Optic                     $375.00
Misc                                  $60.00

Total                             $1,495.00

Plus the price of the shotgun, I got mine on sale for $550.00

I also did a lot of handwork, drilled the gas ports, etc...

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

On 2/7/2023 at 5:27 AM, Iggy42 said:

So I take it that to you by the time you get a VR80 running like a scalded rat you are into Dissident money

It will be a full-on open gun - one of the MPA Open guns that they are doing.  Seem to be the best option for the money/time waiting to received and my budget

It will be close to one of their kl12 by the time you get everything for it

I have a vr80 that runs but only at 90-95%. Made a lot of changes but still have light primer strikes. Have yet to replace the trigger. I decided rather than chasing gremlins I would purchase a gen12. A few guys up here in the NW are running them and I’ve been impressed with the reliability. Been waiting over 3 months now to take delivery. 

• 4 weeks later...