Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Prodigy recoil spring

rudder

Springfield Prodigy ships with 12 lb. recoil  spring, and 23 lb. hammer spring. 

Springfield states commander length spring will not work. Officers springs start at 16 lb. too heavy.

IT appears that Wolff, and ISMI make commander and officers springs. 

Anyone know where to get a Prodigy recoil spring over 12 lbs?

Thanks. 

I compared the stock Springfield Prodigy 4.25 recoil spring with a Wolff Commander 10 lb recoil spring and specs are below.  I also installed the Commander spring in the Prodigy and gun cycles fine with no binding.  Which makes sense because the Wolff spring is actually fewer coils and smaller diameter wire, so fully compressed, it is shorter than the stock spring.  I haven't had a chance to try it with live rounds, but I expect it will work fine.  Only downside I see is that it's a bit more difficult to assemble the gun with the longer free length.

Prodigy 4.25 recoil spring

OAL = 4.25"

coils = 22

wire o.d. = .043"

Wolff Commander recoil spring

OAL = 5.5"

coils = 21

wire o.d. = .038"

IMG_4077.JPG

Edited by ltdmstr

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 11:20 AM, ltdmstr said:

I compared the stock Springfield Prodigy 4.25 recoil spring with a Wolff Commander 10 lb recoil spring and specs are below.  I also installed the Commander spring in the Prodigy and gun cycles fine with no binding.  Which makes sense because the Wolff spring is actually fewer coils and smaller diameter wire, so fully compressed, it is shorter than the stock spring.  I haven't had a chance to try it with live rounds, but I expect it will work fine.  Only downside I see is that it's a bit more difficult to assemble the gun with the longer free length.

Prodigy 4.25 recoil spring

OAL = 4.25"

coils = 22

wire o.d. = .043"

Wolff Commander recoil spring

OAL = 5.5"

coils = 21

wire o.d. = .038"

IMG_4077.JPG

How did it shoot with the Commander spring?

The 10# Commander spring works fine in my 4.25 Prodigy with 135 pf ammo.  Not sure what the stock spring is rated at, but the 10# Wolff definitely feels lighter.  Also, I spoke to Springfield Custom Shop rep at the NRA show a couple months back and he confirmed that the Commander spring is fine in the 4.25 model.  

On 6/5/2023 at 6:54 PM, ltdmstr said:

The 10# Commander spring works fine in my 4.25 Prodigy with 135 pf ammo.  Not sure what the stock spring is rated at, but the 10# Wolff definitely feels lighter.  Also, I spoke to Springfield Custom Shop rep at the NRA show a couple months back and he confirmed that the Commander spring is fine in the 4.25 model.  

Thanks, that’s what I was hoping to hear!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently using an 8lb wolff commander spring in my 4.25 prodigy and 135 power factor loads.  With my loads and the 10 lb, the brass just trickled out of the gun.  I really like the recoil impluse and can track the dot very well.  

• 6 months later...