Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was “slide forward” ever part of the official range commands?

OPENB

Same here, I'll have to pull up my old rule books but I remember that being used a lot back in the 90's. I just can't confirm if it was official or not, I did a lot of outlaw matches back then so I may be confusing it with those. 

from a 2013 post here on enos:  And, it's not "slide forward, hammer down" anymore... It's "If you are finished, unload and show clear. If clear, hammer down and holster."

i'm sure 'slide forward' was part of the rules as i've been trying to get it OUT of my end of stage sequence ever since...

Here's lots of the old rule books: 

I don't see that it was ever a RO command, but it was part of the range command rules for a while---

"GUN CLEAR, HAMMER DOWN, HOLSTER"  - The Range Officer must visually inspect the chamber of each firearm and instruct the individual competitor, with this command, to holster in the following condition:

Self·loaders - slide forward , hammer down and magazine well empty.
Revolvers - cylinder closed and empty (no cases) and hammer down.

2 hours ago, OPENB said:

I have a buddy that swears that phrase was an official command, maybe late 90s or early 2000s. Anyone remember that far back? I remember when LAMR was changed to MR. 

No, not in USPSA/IPSC. Neither was "Shooter Ready". :roflol:

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I think it went along with "Let er rip taterchip"
 I think slide forward  might have been in the first IDPA rule book

It’s baaaack! 
2022 IDPA rule book.  If clear, slide forward

Foggy memory time, I do recall that maybe from my RO class back in 85, we also declared the gun clear back then 

before, slide forward, hammer down, holster

I’m sure revolvers and range lawyers had a hand in changing the range commands 

I started as an IPSC RO  in early 2000's and 'slide forward was not an official range command although it was used by some. The 'If clear" on the unload was bought in to put the onus on the competitor if there was an AD on the hammer down command the RO couldn't be at blame as the competitor failed to check his own gun. My understanding anyway.

Edited by terrydoc

5 hours ago, terrydoc said:

I started as an IPSC RO  in early 2000's and 'slide forward was not an official range command although it was used by some. The 'If clear" on the unload was bought in to put the onus on the competitor if there was an AD on the hammer down command the RO couldn't be at blame as the competitor failed to check his own gun. My understanding anyway.

Yes, I remember when they added the "if" to the ULSC commands. I think it was the same time that LAMR was changed to MR.  Jay instructed my class, and he gave us laminated cards with the range commands, but that was 20+ years ago, so it's long gone. In the late 90's we had a local guy that liked to say "Stoke it up and make it lethal, cowboy".

I also remember LAMR was changed to MR because on an unloaded start, the RO would have just given a range command counter to the actual start condition, confusing non-English speakers. Or at least, that was the explanation given. And, "if clear, hammer down, holster" encompassed all the divisions, including revolver (at the time).

If Jay Worden sees this, maybe he can refresh my memory. I did not shoot IDPA, so that's not what I was thinking, but since they came from our sport, maybe they brought it with them.

Edited by OPENB

10 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Interesting, but this the the IPSC/USPSA Rules forum so not relevant to this thread. 😉 

Isn't it though? I think a lot of the issues with wrong commands can easily stem from shooters going back and forth between the two games.

"if clear slide forward" has been a range command in IDPA as long as I've been doing it. I have rule books going back pretty far. 2005 it was "slide down" 2013 to present it's been "slide forward" best I can tell. Personally I use USPSA commands at IDPA matches because I like them better. But I could see if I did that a lot some people might start to think uspsa command were IDPA commands.

11 hours ago, OPENB said:

Yes, I remember when they added the "if" to the ULSC commands. I think it was the same time that LAMR was changed to MR.  Jay instructed my class, and he gave us laminated cards with the range commands, but that was 20+ years ago, so it's long gone. In the late 90's we had a local guy that liked to say "Stoke it up and make it lethal, cowboy".

I also remember LAMR was changed to MR because on an unloaded start, the RO would have just given a range command counter to the actual start condition, confusing non-English speakers. Or at least, that was the explanation given. And, "if clear, hammer down, holster" encompassed all the divisions, including revolver (at the time).

If Jay Worden sees this, maybe he can refresh my memory. I did not shoot IDPA, so that's not what I was thinking, but since they came from our sport, maybe they brought it with them.

Make ready is an addition to LAMR for unloaded starts. If its a loaded star the LAMR command is appropriate. (IPSC)

I have a copy of the 1984 rule book and it was not in there. I cannot say before then. It has never been a proper range command as long as I have been certified and I got certified in 1988.

However, I saw a copy of a card issued as part of the shooters safety check where it was on that card. However, I do not know what time frame it was from. It old when I saw it. My club used to have you do a shooters safety check before your first match. I started shooting in 1984.

Jay

Edited by JayWord
spelling

On 1/31/2023 at 4:38 PM, Schutzenmeister said:

I've been in the sport 30 years now.  It has NEVER been an official range command during that period of time.

I am with, Schutzenmeister. Long as I been in this sport (And that is like forever)we have said if you are finished, unload and slow clear, At that point, they would say slide forward( or just "slide"), hammer down, and holster.  and they still say that today

On 1/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, Joe4d said:

I think it went along with "Let er rip taterchip"
 I think slide forward  might have been in the first IDPA rule book

I really miss hearing "Gas 'em up Cowboy!"  RIP Mike Voigt.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

• 3 weeks later...