Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Prez target order……

Daslinger

What order should you shoot an El Prez classifier ?

I shoot right handed and I’m right eye dominate.

I have only shot it once. Went from left to right. Reloaded and then went back left to right again.

Should I have shot right to left on the second string ?

I used to shoot left to right, reload, left to right.

But thinking about it now, if I were shooting a dot, it may be quicker to go right to left both times.

My left eye focuses on the target (left eye dominant) while my right eye is on the dot. So my left eye has an unrestricted view of the next target in sequence.

The reload takes 1.2 seconds? That's plenty of time to get your eyes where you want. My eyes are at the magwell for the reload so I'm starting over visually as i come up after inserting thr mag. To me it is immaterial which order you shoot the second part.

I go l to r, l to r simply for consistency visually.

The shot timer tells you what is best for you and your current skill level. And don't be surprised if that changes over time.

Edited by rowdyb

I go left to right and then right to left.

Because I turn to my strong side and the left is the first target in vision and engaged. 

I stay right because that opens up the magwell instead of crowding my first mag pouch (center) and prevents variability in twisting.

I’m comfortable transitioning either way freestyle so that doesn’t come into it for me.

Even though I'm left-handed, I transition better left to right.  I figured that was due to lots and lots of reading making my eyes very trained to move that way.

Try it on the timer and see what works for you.

12 hours ago, shred said:

Even though I'm left-handed, I transition better left to right.  I figured that was due to lots and lots of reading making my eyes very trained to move that way.

Try it on the timer and see what works for you.

Also a lefty here, and I prefer to go L-R if I had the choice. Not sure how I developed it but it's a strong preference. These days of I have an inclination to train one direction, I'll make myself do the opposite. 

I have one el prez classifier on record at 87%. I shot it left to right both time. I am right-handed but feel more comfortable transitioning from left to right. During my dry and live practice, I found little meaningful difference shooting in either order.

I’m right handed but left eye dominant (but over the years I’ve taught myself to shoot with my right eye), and I should from left to right, reload, and then left to right again.

In the SHO, or WHO variants, I shoot left to right WHO, and right to left SHO. 

5 hours ago, RoundEye said:

snip

In the SHO, or WHO variants, I shoot left to right WHO, and right to left SHO. 

Were you formally taught that or is that just what works for you?

1 hour ago, ddc said:

Were you formally taught that or is that just what works for you?

I do the same, the gun is going to naturally want to go off to the unsupported side in recoil. So why not just let it and ride that recoil as the transition to the next target. Not really a new idea. 

Our arms (or 'musculeoskeleton' for the big-words fans) are much better designed for grabbing than doing the opposite.   Might have something to do with Tarzan ancestors not falling out of trees or catching falling children or runaway llamas or something.

It's much stronger and easier to move one arm inward across your body than outward.    

7 minutes ago, shred said:

Our arms are much better at grabbing than doing the opposite.   Darwinists will say it has something to do with our Tarzan ancestors not falling out of trees or jumping on gazelles and so on.

Thus it's much stronger and easier to move one arm inward across your body than outward.    

I've put thus in practice and it's fact. If I have the choice SHO/WHO, I will transition across my body. So (lefty) SHO is L-R and WHO is R-L.