Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New TS 2 Orange or DW DWX? Which is at the top of the list and why?

JustShootMe

Not looking to compete but rather going to the range on my own time setting up paper and steel but still run against a timer.
Looking for a flat shooter assisting with faster follow up shots.

One important note is mounting a red dot is of no interest.

These two are about the same price and both are a bit hard to find available at the moment.

Although CZ probably has the most accessories available, I rarely modify firearms and shoot them as is out of the box.
Between the new TS 2 Orange and the DW DWX, which is more desirable right out of the box?

Both have the single action trigger make both attractive.
I am a big fan of 1911s.
Both have a great reputation for accuracy.
CZ's full length rail seems to be slightly better geared toward accuracy.

Is it simply a flip of a coin in deciding?
What other factors should I include in decision making?

4 hours ago, Pmatte1 said:

I’d vote for DWX because I much prefer the 1911 straight trigger compared to the hinged of typical CZ.  But if that doesn’t make a difference to you. I think the TS2 might balance/follow up better weight wise

This is more of the information I am after. 

Even if the DWX has a better trigger, it still can't be used until the sights are back on target.

With that said, I do prefer the 1911 style and trigger. 😀

Yes, I would love to try them side by side, but no gun range rents these types of items. 

I ran a TSO in uspsa for a few years.. and as I began to speed up and really push the gun harder I learned the hard way that my hand is just a bit small for the frame and my trigger finger's reach a bit short. This resulted in my pairs spreading out considerably as I pushed the gun hard. 

I then tried and switched over to 2011's starting with an Atlas Nemesis 2011 with a PT evo grip with short trigger.. and a year later to a 6" lightened 2011 with an aluminum cheely L2 grip with short trigger. both of these are amazing shooters for aimed shots, but also at speed... and it seems to me the pairs hold tight at speed. I tribute this to the grip frame and trigger fitting my hand and being well balanced to the load, recoil spring and my grip pressure.   I also found safeties, mag release buttons,  thumb rests and sights that I really really like.

So with this in mind..
For a range toy I'de lean to the TS2 orange.. better trigger out of the box - looks like a soft shooter. not very practical.
For home defense / pseudo practical and great shooter Ide lean towards the DWX. a much better all-around pistol.
If you plan on potentially racing either it really depends on how well your hand fits the frames and your trigger finger fits the trigger... and can your thumbs manage the safety and mag release buttons. It wouldn't matter much at the beginning, but as you get faster little things start to matter more. Then down the road as you start to tweek the little things you may discover the 2011's modular design / standards allows for more options and variety. Tweeking gets pretty spendy - especially if you discover your base gun never fit you well. 

Edited by scroadkill

35 minutes ago, scroadkill said:

So with this in mind..
For a range toy I'de lean to the TS2 orange.. better trigger out of the box - looks like a soft shooter. not very practical.
For home defense / pseudo practical and great shooter Ide lean towards the DWX. a much better all-around pistol.
If you plan on potentially racing either it really depends on how well your hand fits the frames and your trigger finger fits the trigger... and can your thumbs manage the safety and mag release buttons. It wouldn't matter much at the beginning, but as you get faster little things start to matter more. Then down the road as you start to tweek the little things you may discover the 2011's modular design / standards allows for more options and variety. Tweeking gets pretty spendy - especially if you discover your base gun never fit you well. 

Great info, thanks.

Even with having big hands/long fingers, would you still recommend the TS2 Orange over the DWX?

6 hours ago, JustShootMe said:

Great info, thanks.

Even with having big hands/long fingers, would you still recommend the TS2 Orange over the DWX?

for a range toy imo the TS2 Orange. 
I wouldn't suggest using a competition guns for home defense.  If you have that in mind then the DWX.

Definitely an interesting topic I've been thinking about for the past couple of weeks. I've been torn about it too. They're both ergonomically similar to the Shadow 2, which has been my primary USPSA gun for the last year.

I really do like the idea of the DWX, especially since it takes reliable P10 magazines, but at the same time I save myself a few hundred bucks getting the TS2 since I've already got Tactical Sport magazines from my Czechmate... so torn.. but the DWX is just so sexy. And I do miss having a double stack 1911-esque gun since getting rid of my Staccato.

Edited by VeilAndrew

8 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

Definitely an interesting topic I've been thinking about for the past couple of weeks. I've been torn about it too. They're both ergonomically similar to the Shadow 2, which has been my primary USPSA gun for the last year.

I really do like the idea of the DWX, especially since it takes reliable P10 magazines, but at the same time I save myself a few hundred bucks getting the TS2 since I've already got Tactical Sport magazines from my Czechmate... so torn.. but the DWX is just so sexy. And I do miss having a double stack 1911-esque gun since getting rid of my Staccato.

Curious why you let go of your Staccato. 

Once I get my hands on the TS2 Orange or DWX (actually now leaning more toward the Orange), it will be tested against the Staccato and between the two there will only be 1 winner and the loser gets sold. 

2 hours ago, JustShootMe said:

Once I get my hands on the TS2 Orange or DWX (actually now leaning more toward the Orange), it will be tested against the Staccato and between the two there will only be 1 winner and the loser gets sold. 

I wanted something else. It was before they announced "Limited Optics" so instead of having both the Shadow 2 and the Staccato, I got rid of the Staccato and got some other stuff instead. It was a lot of money dumped into a gun that just wasn't shot that often..

Nothing particularly wrong with it. Just liked my CZs 🙂

On 1/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, JustShootMe said:

I've got a Staccato P, TSO and TS2 Green, all with optics.  I greatly prefer the ergonomics of the CZs.  For me, the area around the Staccato's beavertail and safety isn't rounded enough.  It can beat up my dominant thumb joint pretty bad after a while of shooting.  And it's downright painful when shooting with my non-dominant hand. It's quite accurate tho - just as accurate as my CZs and I can shoot it about as well.  I just enjoy shooting the CZs a lot more.  Also, for a $2500 gun, the trigger isn't exactly as crisp as it ought to be altho I managed to get a copy with a nice light just under 3lb trigger pull (apparently it's a crap shoot what trigger pull you'll end up with).  I did have to send mine back in for work on some sear engagement issues. That process was smooth and I was kept well informed.  High marks for customer service.  All-in-all tho, I think a TS2 Orange or TSO or TS2 Green or Shadow 2 Orange are all better values. The Staccato is always near the top of my "If I need or want to sell a gun to buy something else, it'll be this one" list.  I may do so to afford a DWX 😉

6 hours ago, Seakphotog said:

I've got a Staccato P, TSO and TS2 Green, all with optics.  

Can you tell a little about setting the TS2 Green with the optic? The TS2 irons sight cut is a Bomar-style, with a lot of metal removed from the back. Who did the optic mounting, which optic, and is there still enough metal to support the optic from the back?

11 hours ago, YVK said:

Can you tell a little about setting the TS2 Green with the optic? The TS2 irons sight cut is a Bomar-style, with a lot of metal removed from the back. Who did the optic mounting, which optic, and is there still enough metal to support the optic from the back?

A picture is worth a thousand words!!!

On 1/31/2023 at 5:19 PM, YVK said:

Howdy, I had Fire 4 Effect cut mine for an SRO using their propriety mounting system. Works well but they're now out of business. I have a high opinion of the work Primary Machine does, they've cut 2 slides for me.  They also cut TS2 slides.  Maybe shoot them some questions?  They're very responsive. I'd post a photo of mine but I'm not home right now.

21 hours ago, pcar157 said:

@Seakphotog, can you show us your TS2 optic mount?

I had Fire 4 Effect do mine using their proprietary mounting system.  I can post a pix later today. The SRO sits as low as it can go.  The system has been rock solid.  Sadly, Fire 4 Effect is no longer in business.  They still have a Facebook page with images, I think.

Agree with @Seakphotogre: Primary Machine. Had them do several 1911s direct mount Vortex Venoms. Perfect tight fit. My only objection to PM is they want to re-finish the slide in its' entirety not just the machined area. That in turn gives the slide a different shade/hue than the frame of the gun.

Scott Milam, Impact Machine, Louisiana will refinish just the milled area and Scott does excellent work.