Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFL Transfer/Shipping Cost Allowance?

I am selling some of my guns and was curious as to what I should allow cost wise to transfer/ship through a local FFL? I want to include the transfer and shipping in the price of the guns to make the transactions as clean/simple as possible. The way I understand it the best way is to go through an FFL and have them do the transfer and shipping? 
Any real world experiences/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Check with your dealer of choice.

Transfer fees range from $20-50 and shipping is based on ultimate destination. Long guns are typically more than pistols. 

the last few transfers I did were in the $50-80 range after xfer fees and shipping. 

I did it two different ways:

1)Shipped it myself to an FFL, it cost me $90 to ship it Fedex.  UPS was going to charge me $130 to ship it.

2)Used an FFL to ship it, it cost me $70 and they shipped it for me.

Just yesterday I shipped a 16" AR15 rifle parts kit (everything  except the lower) from AZ to MS. Disassembled and packed it weighed 7.75lb, and shipping prices, including $750 of insurance, were in the $32-34 range for FedEx Ground, UPS Ground and USPS Priority.

The shipping rules for complete firearms are a minefield. You can only ship long guns by USPS (no handguns). I believe both FedEx and UPS now prohibit guns (and maybe gun parts), or at least require you to use their overnight service (very expensive). I arrange shipping of gun parts using their online portals so I just have to drop it off (no awkward questions about what's in the box at the shipping store).

The easiest is to use an FFL to ship the gun. They can use USPS for handguns and long guns, and some FFLs will only accept shipments from other FFLs. If you cant find a local FFL willing to ship for you, look at Ship My Gun .

FFL transfer fees for the buyer vary from $10 and upward... I'd leave that to them to figure out as they may be content to pay more for a convenient location or familiar dealer.

as the person selling the gun, you don't need to pay transfer fees.  that's up to the buyer's FFL of their choice.  now, the FFL you use may charge you a fee to ship it (their time, gas, etc.)

You can sell it for whatever price you deem fair and tell them plus actual shipping cost.  once they give you their address, you can always get an estimate on the shipping cost to add to the final price.

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

I am selling some of my guns and was curious as to what I should allow cost wise to transfer/ship through a local FFL? I want to include the transfer and shipping in the price of the guns to make the transactions as clean/simple as possible. The way I understand it the best way is to go through an FFL and have them do the transfer and shipping? 
Any real world experiences/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

This is not an ad and therefore not allowed in the classifieds. I have moved it to an appropriate forum for discussion.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

This is not an ad and therefore not allowed in the classifieds. I have moved it to an appropriate forum for discussion.

My apologies; didn’t know where to post this question; should have asked.🙁

3 minutes ago, Malarky112 said:

Just to add some ffl’s won’t accept firearms from private sellers. 
Going thru an ffl will avoid that. 

Good advice; that is exactly what I am going to do. FFL to FFL; I think safest way to go plus there is a legal record of the transaction.

• 2 months later...

i have used SMG ship my guns and was very happy with this company that is what they do and it was like half the cost of fed ex dealer to dealer. Not sure why i dont hear people suggest using this service more on this forum  check them out.