Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2023 Florida State Championship - 1st overall

Congrats! After looking at the match book, it seemed like there were lots of options to shoot stages. Did you usually come up with an efficient plan pretty quickly? Was there some discussion about which way to shoot? I know a stage well rehearsed and well executed is usually better that a perceived "best" plan. 

There were a few different ways to do most of the stages but the best plan for me was evident pretty quickly. IDPA stage planning isn't as difficult as when I used to shoot USPSA Production, although I can tell my mental sharpness shooting a 10 round division is not quite there these days. I had small mental errors on way too many stages at this match. They are pretty visible to me on video, I wonder how many people notice them. 

On 1/30/2023 at 8:16 PM, Scotty_JR said:

Congrats! After looking at the match book, it seemed like there were lots of options to shoot stages. Did you usually come up with an efficient plan pretty quickly? Was there some discussion about which way to shoot? I know a stage well rehearsed and well executed is usually better that a perceived "best" plan. 

The stages generally all broke down to two-ish plans: tougher shots but less movement, or more movement and open targets. Good stage design, IMHO. I was on zero sleep and couldn't get my heart to calm down so I ran really conservative stage plans. Snagged first Rev Ex but third Rev overall; I had the least points down and was the only one to not hit a Non-Threat but was just too dang slow.

Congrats, Matt! That's some really good shooting, and as others have said, definitely the correct pace for this match. I didn't come back for awards but it looks like the plaques were pretty cool.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:10 AM, matteekay said:

The stages generally all broke down to two-ish plans: tougher shots but less movement, or more movement and open targets. Good stage design, IMHO. I was on zero sleep and couldn't get my heart to calm down so I ran really conservative stage plans. Snagged first Rev Ex but third Rev overall; I had the least points down and was the only one to not hit a Non-Threat but was just too dang slow.

Congrats, Matt! That's some really good shooting, and as others have said, definitely the correct pace for this match. I didn't come back for awards but it looks like the plaques were pretty cool.

Ryan Hand runs a great match... 

We haven't even picked up our plaques either... We'll get them at Ryan's local match next week... 

1 hour ago, Less said:

Ryan Hand runs a great match... 

We haven't even picked up our plaques either... We'll get them at Ryan's local match next week... 

Nice! Congrats!

I *think* I get one... but it's a little bit of a drive for me to swing by. Like, a 28-hour drive.

And yes, it was an awesome match all the way through. I'm really hoping to head back next year.

• 9 months later...