Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prodigy DS owners- optic plate question

Cam73

Hey guys-

I'm looking for some help from Prodigy owners to find the following dimensions:

-Breech face to the front of the optic cut.

-Highest point on the round top of the slide to top of optic plate (surface the dot mounts on)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Shred. You are right, the depth of the cut without a plate installed is really what I'm after.

I'm working backwards to install an A14B (RMR/SRO/507C) AOS plate and maintain the alignment at the back of the slide. 

You are DIY-ing a slide cut?  I'd pick a datum surface that isn't the top of the slide as those have very loose tolerances (many slides that's finished by hand on a belt sander) and is hard to measure accurately.  Slide rails will likely be better.

I think the limiting factor rearward is having enough metal for the half-dovetail to work.

8 hours ago, shred said:

You are DIY-ing a slide cut?  I'd pick a datum surface that isn't the top of the slide as those have very loose tolerances (many slides that's finished by hand on a belt sander) and is hard to measure accurately.  Slide rails will likely be better.

I think the limiting factor rearward is having enough metal for the half-dovetail to work.

Yeah, more or less. I have 2 slides I'd like to outfit with AOS plates.

First test cut on a scrap block turned out well with a nice press fit of the plate. I'm sure my slides will differ from Springfield, just looking for a general starting point. Neither slide has been blended leaving some flexibility. What I'd like to avoid is situation that requires blending/refinishing of the plate itself. Pretty hard to tell from photos of the optic plate removed, but I think the 1/2 dovetail (Glock 74* BTW) stops inline with the back of the FPS. 

• 3 weeks later...

The first AOS plate is installed. I'm satisfied with the overall fit, but will start closer to the breach face on the next slide as the plate overhangs the rear of the slide a little. The slide is right off the mill with lots of clean-up to go. I'll probably address the over hang and round top/tri-top mis-match when it's time to blend the pistol. That being said, there is not a lot of support material around the rear sight dovetail...

NCP3-2.thumb.jpg.c251aa252bf3e74afdfb5de4b872e8f6.jpgNCP-3-4.thumb.jpg.703903e189c51d85f7830d6433314ddf.jpgNCP-3-3.thumb.jpg.a94f0d407563790b193b189c7d2940d5.jpgNCP3-1.thumb.jpg.1205f62a9f7d5a57dd9a39ac31666950.jpg

Edited by Cam73

Excellent. I think that the AOS plate has a better design than other plates that are commonly used for 1911s/2011s. I wish more builders would use it. Is this a "one of" project, or something you might be offering commercially?

On 2/24/2023 at 6:45 AM, YVK said:

Excellent. I think that the AOS plate has a better design than other plates that are commonly used for 1911s/2011s. I wish more builders would use it. Is this a "one of" project, or something you might be offering commercially?

I agree, I like the design. After an extensive search it is the only plate that checked all the boxes: available, affordable, easy to cut on a manual mill, removable back up irons (Glock pattern IIRC). The Hayes plate looks pretty good, but I think the AOS plate is a little more versatile. I don't see the necessity of trapping the optic in the slide cut for my end use.

It's a "one-of" for now. Still in the very early stages of learning my way around the 1911/2011 platform and machine tools. Building custom/semi-custom is a future goal though.