Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Pro vs. Stock 2

StanJ

The stock 2 is by far the more popular of these two guns.  But I would like to hear from those of you who have experience with both.  How different are they really?  Is  the premium price on the stock 2 justified? 

Edited by StanJ

Limpro : Straight and longer Barrel, lighter, quick to transition. 

Stock 2 : Bull Barrel but shorter. Heavier but has won plenty of ipsc and uspsa

I think if you wanted to play IDPA people will choose limpro. 

Pick your poison. Both are capable. 

Alpha shot by either are still 5 points on the board. 

When you pick, buy 2 so you have one for practice and one for match then have plenty of ammo 😁... 

Get parts from Patriot Defense and go at it... 

I have a stock master built by j&M.  I love it. 
when I was shopping, it was between the stock 2 and the stock master.  Everything I read said their both great guns and which ever you practice with more.. you’ll be better with.. and was steered towards the stock master.   I have zero regrets. 
I guess I kinda went the cheaper route being that this was my first expensive handgun purchase. The bull barrel is insanely accurate.

Edited by Zachjet

18 hours ago, StanJ said:

Is the stock 2 bull barrel more accurate than the standard heavy barrel on the lim pro? 

Both to me are accurate. It all depends on your load data.. 

18 hours ago, StanJ said:

They’re about 1oz different in weight.  How different are they really?  Is the stock 2 worth the extra $280? 

For me.. Well I can use the difference in getting more ammo.. But to each their own. 

I have plenty of Tanfo.. For me it depends on my mood.. 😁... I shoot both and other models as well. Same run same stage same time... 

Edited by Yagi
Spell check

3 minutes ago, StanJ said:

Is the stock 2 bull barrel more accurate than the standard heavy barrel on the lim pro? 

They are about the same in the accuracy department.

I have both and it can be difficult to choose.

I am also working on getting a pair of stock masters ATM.

Edited by himurax13

Hopefully USPSA doesn’t put the last nail in the coffin for production division by adding another high cap 9mm minor division.  I have a limited pro already and am considering a stock 2 just because I want one.  Those two guns are so kicka**.  It’s a shame that production is dwindling and by the time you buy one of these tanfos, pay for milling, an optic and magazine parts you’re $2000.  Same story, $2000 if you could somehow find one of the unobtainable Stock OR pistols and put a decent optic on it and mag parts.  It sucks being one of the only production shooters at a local match. 

5 hours ago, StanJ said:

The stock 2 is by far the more popular of these two guns.  But I would like to hear from those of you who have experience with both.  How different are they really?  Is  the premium price on the stock 2 justified? 

Not sure about the new IDPA rules, but the LimPro was a gun that could play in Stock Service Pistol for IDPA and USPSA Production for its day. (There was a whole debacle about Shadow 1 in IDPA a few years back.) The Stock 2 couldn’t be used in IDPA because of it’s cone barrel. The Shadow 2 in IDPA is too much of a gamer gun for Stock Service Pistol.  

The Stock 2 was used by the Eric Grauffel and Ben Stoeger to take many IPSC and USPSA titles respectively at the height of its popularity, now the new hotness is the CZ Shadow 2, or a Canik if you follow No Skills Nills :) 

I personally feel that the Tanfoglio really fixed some of the shortcomings of the 75B/SP-01 with the LimPro/Stock. No firing pin stop pin, improved trigger bar spring system (plunger bar), and a few other refinements. 

That all said, if the rules are still in place and you want to shoot both IDPA and USPSA (and want to shoot Tanfoglio) with the same gun, I’d pick the LimPro. I don’t shoot IDPA anymore, but my gun of choice for USPSA is the Stock 2. 

7 hours ago, SouperMan said:

No firing pin stop pin, improved trigger bar spring system (plunger bar), and a few other refinements. 

Limited Pro has a firing Pin Block, the Limited does not. Limited is a full dust cover, bull barrel and SA only competition gun, while the Limited Pro is short dust cover, DA/SA straight barrel lighter weight gun.

I have all three, Stock 2, LP and Limited.

As far as the OP's question goes:

12 hours ago, StanJ said:

But I would like to hear from those of you who have experience with both.

The Stock 2 is a softer shooting gun because of its lighter weight. 

The LP has a longer barrel and ammo is slightly faster.

Accuracy was basically the same using same ammo.

After a full polish job the DA/SA are comparable.

All the standard Tanfoglio parts fit both.

Stock 2 holster will work with LP, except for extra length.

1 hour ago, StanJ said:

I guess for sake of argument, let’s not forget that Alex Gutt did win Production Nationals with a Limited Pro a few years back.  Which is more than can be said for the Shadow 2.  

You do realize that there are practical shooting championships all over the world and that quite a few have been won with Shadows, right?

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

You do realize that there are practical shooting championships all over the world and that quite a few have been won with Shadows, right?

Sure.  I suspect we’ll see that even more with with Eric Grauffel and Maria Gushchina on team CZ.  

10 hours ago, SouperMan said:

Not sure about the new IDPA rules, but the LimPro was a gun that could play in Stock Service Pistol for IDPA and USPSA Production for its day. (There was a whole debacle about Shadow 1 in IDPA a few years back.) The Stock 2 couldn’t be used in IDPA because of it’s cone barrel. The Shadow 2 in IDPA is too much of a gamer gun for Stock Service Pistol.  

The Stock 2 was used by the Eric Grauffel and Ben Stoeger to take many IPSC and USPSA titles respectively at the height of its popularity, now the new hotness is the CZ Shadow 2, or a Canik if you follow No Skills Nills :) 

I personally feel that the Tanfoglio really fixed some of the shortcomings of the 75B/SP-01 with the LimPro/Stock. No firing pin stop pin, improved trigger bar spring system (plunger bar), and a few other refinements. 

That all said, if the rules are still in place and you want to shoot both IDPA and USPSA (and want to shoot Tanfoglio) with the same gun, I’d pick the LimPro. I don’t shoot IDPA anymore, but my gun of choice for USPSA is the Stock 2. 

Since 2017 CZ shadow 2's where cheap as f*#k. I remember the price being 930-970€ for one in 2017. Since EG joined the Team their price is going up allot.
I'm expecting more Tanfo's again, because everyone's excuse was price. While a standard CZ Shadow 2 is better ouf of the box, trigger wise. They don't deliver wide safety's anymore and their price is high for a CZ. And I expect to see allot more Tanfoglio shooters in the future. IPSC PDO Junior World Champ Piotr is shooting for Tanfo, and killing it.

I just ordered a stock 2 OR for 1620€.

4 minutes ago, DBX1987 said:

Since 2017 CZ shadow 2's where cheap as f*#k. I remember the price being 930-970€ for one in 2017. Since EG joined the Team their price is going up allot.
I'm expecting more Tanfo's again, because everyone's excuse was price. While a standard CZ Shadow 2 is better ouf of the box, trigger wise. They don't deliver wide safety's anymore and their price is high for a CZ. And I expect to see allot more Tanfoglio shooters in the future. IPSC PDO Junior World Champ Piotr is shooting for Tanfo, and killing it.

I just ordered a stock 2 OR for 1620€.

The interesting thing is that Ben Stoeger won a bunch of US production championships with a Tanfo but they never seemed to achieve the popularity of the Shadow and later Shadow 2 did here.

Stock 2 ORs in the US go for around $1500 - $1550 unless you find them on sale.  I picked mine up for $1200 on Black Friday sale last year.

Tanfoglio has a new importer and seems to have improved their product to be on par with CZ so time will tell.

• 7 months later...
On 1/22/2023 at 1:11 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

The interesting thing is that Ben Stoeger won a bunch of US production championships with a Tanfo but they never seemed to achieve the popularity of the Shadow and later Shadow 2 did here.

Because finding one was a wee bit harder than finding a unicorn and they were priced accordingly. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...