Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely Stainless Grip Maintenance

SufferInSilence

Think you know the answer:  If that's as far as it will go, you have to remove material from somewhere.  Use a red felt tip marker and see where the contact is, then remove a little, check again, and keep doing that until it fits.  I'd remove material from the magwell vs. grip as that's the cheaper part and easiest to replace.

3 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Got my Cheely L2 today.  I ordered their tactical stainless magwell to go with it.  

I noticed right off that the holes don’t exactly line up to mount it.  Is there extra fitting that needs to be done? 

Obviously the steel on steel combo isn’t going to flex so I don’t wanna bang away at it and ruin it.  
- Yes, the magwell is pushed as far back as possible.  

Any insight out there? 

5BE5E603-154C-4533-8FAF-60DF89ECD68C.jpeg

I would look at how the front of the grip is fitting in the front of the magwell to get that to line up better but I would also want it to be snug on the pin so there is no movement when its installed. so find the tight spot take a little off see how it fits, repeat till perfect. 

Most of working on 19/2011s is an exercise in putting it together testing a fit and taking it apart making a small adjustment and repeating over and over and over till its right. 

On 1/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, SufferInSilence said:

Any insight out there? 

Before you remove metal try this.  With the magwell removed, place the gun grip down on a rigid surface.  Push down hard.  Is the end of the MSH flush with the bottom of the grip?  If yes, install the magwell and repeat the process.  I think you'll find the hole now line up and you can tap the retaining pin in.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Before you remove metal try this.  With the magwell removed, place the gun grip down on a rigid surface.  Push down hard.  Is the end of the MSH flush with the bottom of the grip?  If yes, install the magwell and repeat the process.  I think you'll find the hole now line up and you can tap the retaining pin in.

Outstanding! I’ll give it a go when it comes back from cerakoteing 😎 

Another thing you can do is insert a punch into the magwell/frame/ms hole and try prying it back.  Don't use a wimpy punch because it will bend.  And don't get carried away.  But, if it has room to move, that should do it.